Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doors

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Here is the thing. Outside of OT, these sections and forums are more meant for someone to ask a question and get it answered then for just chat. That is what offtopic is for. Especially considering that this is not particularly s197 related, and is more a thing with all cars. The problem is, you wanted a conversation in a forum that really only answers questions, and so you got answers to a question you didn't ask because we are wired for answering questions, not chatting. Don't get butthurt because we misunderstood your intentions.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:48 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
You guys are something else.
I NEVER park next to anyone, ever. I have never door ding anyone, ever.
That spot has little to do with me, I was just putting something out there to have a conversation, I guess I should have said, "What Kind of wheels should I get" or "which exhaust"
If you want to TRY to belittle or degrade a post why is it that you would hit the reply button at all, I mean just don't reply, much easier. And your Dumb a-- meter doesn't move.
I personally did not mean to belittle you, and I hope I didn't sound like that. I was trying to give a possible solution to a problem that I thought you might have been having; I too always am afraid of opening my door into the next car. That is just one of the down sides of owning a coupe (2 door). Heck, even some sedans (4 doors) have massive enough doors to rival doors on coupes.

If I did sound like I was degrading you, I do apologize. I didn't mean it that way.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
How about putting your hand on the edge of the door so when you open it up and get out it can't possibly hit the other car?
That is exactly what I do! And yes, after opening the door onto your fingers on the next car, you learn really quick to open your doors carefully and slowly.

Even the most intelligent person in the world would make this same mistake, it is part of being human and conditioning yourself to be aware of the cars next to you. I bet even Einstein has opened a few doors of his own and put a ding or so on the next car!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Jim
No problem, Sometimes I guess I jump to conclusions.
I will say it again, I never park next to anyone, ever. I go to walmart and I park as far away from the door as possible, I go to the stadium and park in the last row and the last spot way away. None of my cars ever had any door dings.

My 1st mustang
So I guess you wrote the same thing to these threads.
"Arggh, the wait is killing me"
" Roush M90 guys, check this out"
"installed UPR catch can"
and many more
Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
So I guess you wrote the same thing to these threads.
"Arggh, the wait is killing me"
" Roush M90 guys, check this out"
"installed UPR catch can"
and many more
I scrolled through looking for a question and answered if there was one, or did not post. The way your post was worded it sounded like you were asking something or wanting something instead of just chatting, so we tried to answer. I am not saying we are incapable of chatting. Just that we are not used to it in this section.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

1st
More than 50% of the threads here are just people chatting with each other, case in point, "Arggh, the wait is killing me" 3 pages of chatting. When you say " I am not saying we are incapable of chatting. Just that we are not used to it in this section." What world are you living in? That's all that goes on here. Maybe 10% of the post are informative the rest just talk about non tec stuff, and, I might add, there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Did you actually look at the damned thread? Eh? Half of the posts are asking things, even if they are unrelated to the subject of the thread, and the other half are answering.

And as for the others...
The catch can one is the same way. People start talking about benefits and costs and reasons and asking questions on why this or why that.
The m90 thread had 320 views and 6 posts. And are 2 questions, btw.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I think what's trying to be got at here is that generally conversation happens more often over issues that are encountered particularly with mustangs. For example in the threads mentioned, shane created his thread about the alternator cover because a bunch of users here have M90s under the hood and might share the same issue, the catch can thread was important because catch cans are always a hot topic of to use or not to use. And the wait threads inspire chatter because we all know how bad waiting for a car can be.

I think you only got crap for this thread because although the door swinging open can be a pain sometimes, it's one of those things that we all learn to live with, they aren't that big of a hassle. Plus there isn't much debate about it, of course the door swing sucks haha. But that's why we have opposable thumbs
Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

OP you're going to have to get used to a certain amount of sarcasm on this forum. Your topic highlights what you perceive to be a problem, and even if others agree, I think most believe it's a small enough issue that tearing into the door and installing a different type of mechanism isn't worth the trouble. It's really only an issue if the driver isn't paying enough attention, or are opening his/her door in a carefree manner.

That is why you get smartass responses, like mine. If someone posts a "how do I avoid door dings when opening my door" thread, I'd expect 90% of the responses to be in the realm of "don't be a dummy?"
Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure what Aston Martin uses for it's door hinges, but the door stops and stays exactly where you leave it. It works this way at least on the V8 Vantage.

Quick Reply: doors