Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Question Cheap Mods?

Since Im in high school and I want to get an Air Force scholarship to Purdue University to study astrophysics, my parents don't want me working during the school year.

But the more I do to the car, the more I like working on it and the more accomplished I feel.

So I was wondering if you all know any small mods that I can do on a tight budget. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you have a hell of a future ahead of you. Congrats. So, please be careful about falling into the culture of corruption that is obsessive Modding and spending every dime you have on the car. Please don't. That said, there are somethings you could do if you save your pennies and take it slow.

There are lots of things that don't cost a lot of money, that are fun to do yourself, and even get noticed. Even some of the DIY custom stuff can be a lot of fun and don't cost anything (Such as the colored steering wheel mod I did, and the Running Pony Decklid Mod that myself and Grumpy's GT did)

But here is a list of the best Mods (IMHO) that are cheap but good:

Styling

1: Custom vinyl stripes. Uncut rolls can be gotten for less than $100.00 and if you use your imagination, you can get something that is unlike any other mustang out there. Plus the satisfaction of DIY and a one-of-a-kind look. (Check out my garage pics for an example)

2: Hood Scoop, Chin Spoiler, Quarter window Louvers. Each of these can be done for under $300.00 prepainted to match. Plus they can be done one at a time as funds become available.

3: MGP Caliper covers ($180.00) I can't even tell you how much these get comments. Also a good set of drilled and slotted rotors from powerstop will complete the look for only $130.00 a set.

4) Shorty antenna ($12.00)

5) Various billet interior pieces. Pay as you go. Check out UPR for a Huge selection of these. Some as low as 5 bucks!

6) Light covers/tint (cheap)

7) Decklid cover ($80.00)

Performance (this is harder to stay cheap)

1) Underdrive pulley ($250.00 plus install)

2) CAI and Tune ($500)

3) Axle-Back Exhaust (My Pypes Violators sound amazing and only cost $300.00 new)

That's for starters. Styling Mods are usually cheaper than performance Mods and will get noticed more often. So, if funds are limited, I'd stick with the pretty stuff first and the Vroom Vroom stuff later.

Last edited by Fifthwind; 01-12-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I'm not obsessed with modding, but I haven't done anything more than interior lighting and a new radio (DIY first time wiring is... An experience. Haha) and I need something to do to keep me away from the fridge (Im on a big diet - I can fit back into my old 32 jeans!) and I love keeping my car (Cody - I named it after my twin bro that died in 2008) in tip top shape especially in winter when I can't really keep the outside clean.

I was going to paint "Cody" in flourished calligraphy on both sides of my hood scoop, but I don't know what paint to use since I planned on doing it with a paint brush by myself. And I am totally getting a shorty antenna (at 12 dollars, how can I not? haha).

Also, seeing as my interior is red leather, I will certainly look at making my steering wheel red. Also, since I have false side scoops, I was wondering about painting the intake (the black part) red. Would acrylic paint work?

I bet this would be a lot easier if it weren't a special order car with a paint that isn't standard option... I have to buy all my own paint and take it up to my uncle's shop to have it sprayed.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 01-12-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Needed more detail
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

If you have a V6 without the Pony Package, a rear GT sway bar is a cheap mod that really improves the handling of the car