Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Wash In College?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:35 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default Car Wash In College?

What would you do if you have no access to water, hose, etc.?

Reason I ask is I am in college, and because of all the salt my car is a mess. I need to get it washed, but I've heard some horror stories from those self-wash places (issues with water staining rims and whatnot). Should I brave it and use one of those? Because I'm sure most anything would be better than all the salt sitting on my paint.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

I use the newer jet or wave washers. They are a little more expensive, but they do not use brushes and they have an undercarrage option. I use a drying cloth to remove excess water from rims.

You are right...get rid of the salt!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HT
What would you do if you have no access to water, hose, etc.?

Reason I ask is I am in college, and because of all the salt my car is a mess. I need to get it washed, but I've heard some horror stories from those self-wash places (issues with water staining rims and whatnot). Should I brave it and use one of those? Because I'm sure most anything would be better than all the salt sitting on my paint.
I wonder the same thing, I'm also in the same situation as you having to park outside on campus, unfortunately not so great for the car. A lot of people have recommended going to a touchless carwash to avoid as much harm as possible. I haven't done it yet but I honestly need to. Have to wait until the temps get above freezing first though.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Either a touchless or a do it yourself will work fine. Talk to some local car owners and see where they go. Getting the salt of is what you need most of all, but still want a decent job.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I only use the hand wand car washes...I keep a wash mitt in the trunk and I give the car a good washdown then hit it with the soap along with hand washing...rinse and done...
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I mean, salt is better than getting major issues with the water staining stuff or scratching the hell out of my paint. I'm going to look up some of the local options.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Lifter, the wand washes with the proper equipment is the best way to go, but if it is below freezing, I use the brushless drive in wash because they have a dryer as the final cycle and minimizes the wet exposure to the cold. Just quickly wipe off excess water (less than 5 min) with a terry cloth.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

I have everything I need to wash my car in my trunk (except water), but if I HAD to take it to a car wash I would make sure it does not use brushes. Good thing to keep handy is a car dust brush and detailer.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

Why not just go to a place where they do 100% hand car wash? It cost like $20 but at least you know who to punch in the face if they eff it up.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
I only use the hand wand car washes...I keep a wash mitt in the trunk and I give the car a good washdown then hit it with the soap along with hand washing...rinse and done...
+1

I don't know about the northeast, but where I am at, you can go to a do-it-yourself car wash with those car wash wands that dispenses everything: Plain water, Soap, and a separate liquid wax wand.

These will eat up quarters really fast, so be sure to being at least $10 worth of coins. Better have more than not enough.

But I do also carry car wash soap and microfiber cloths and a plastic bucket in the trunk. That way, if I had to use one of these do-it-yourself car washes, I save on the soap option and only pay for the water.

Quick Reply: Car Wash In College?