Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting blown! Also question about Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Default Getting blown! Also question about Tuner

I ordered Brenspeeds Paxton "Throwback" kit last night. I can't wait... hopefully the anticipation doesn't kill me.

I was wondering if there is any issue with using a different handheld tuner than the one I have been using.

The screen on mine shattered somehow, so I decided to go ahead and just use the one they are including with the kit.

It seems the way this would work is that I would use the old tuner to return the car to stock, then hook up the new tuner so it will get the stock tune saved, then load the Brenspeed tune from the new tuner and install SC. Just want to make sure that is right.

Brenspeed Paxton Throwback Kit_

Last edited by gburke1; 01-15-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

You are correct, that is how you'd do it. I ran the Brenspeed Vortech V3 on my 09 Mustang which is identical to the throwback in every way except for the name stamped on the side of the blower. Its a good kit for the money overall. You'll notice that it really starts pulling at 3k-6k rpm. If you want it to "hit" faster, do some 4.10 gears. If you live in a hot climate it'll pull timing when the intake temps hit around 150~ I believe. Its noticeable for sure, but always will be faster than stock. Enjoy!

There are a few videos of mine up on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mudflap1974?feature=mhum
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

u will really enjoy being blown. I have just gotten my saleen kit installed in december. I havent had the chance to really do anything but cant wait for the weather to break. Enjoy the new power
Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

If you can, it's better to wait and save for the intercooled H.O. 2200 kit.. the non-intercooled kit is fine but it'll eventually hot and pull so much boost it's no fun at all.

I am getting an intercooler in a few months.. can't wait!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

What does it take for it to pull timing? Will it pull it just during normal driving (going around town without beating on it), or does it take going WOT?

I might still be able to change my order since I just placed it w/ them.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 AM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

So long as you stay out of boost your car will drive like stock, but as you are getting into boost the air coming into the engine will start to get warmer. This can be caused by the supercharger getting hot from boost or just a hot day and the car naturally getting warm. As stated above timing will start being pulled around 150 degrees. This is done to keep from predetonating, which would cause harm to your engine, this will cause your car to lose power and can be prevented by intercooling the supercharger (other methods such as meth injection are also used for this).
Old 01-16-2011, 03:12 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
What does it take for it to pull timing? Will it pull it just during normal driving (going around town without beating on it), or does it take going WOT?

I might still be able to change my order since I just placed it w/ them.
hot temps (which WILL happen lulz)

For instance, I would run 13.3s when hot/warm and a 12.5 flat when very cool.

Yes, it's that much of a difference!

Get that intercooler now, with the complete kit. Or end up paying $1,650 for it later on. The Paxton 2200 is actually larger than the Novi 1200 which is what you got.

Its a better deal with the kit, unless you cannot afford it. Trust me, it's worth the consistent 100 or so (considering the non-intercooled version adds zilch once it gets hot).
Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I agree. If the set up has a large efficient inter cooler designed in with it, and a large heat exchanger, the temps are kept down about 20-25 degrees(from a smaller system) after normal spirited driving while the engine is running. While the engine is off after full temps, the larger set up brings down the heat soak faster from being parked for errands, and stabilizes at a lower running intake temps after continued driving from errands.
I've done direct tests with my car's hood open on a breezy hot day(full venting) running the car at idle for 20 min., then running with the hood closed for 20 min. trapping the ambient air. There is no difference in running temps because the heat exchanger/radiator coolant volume and and it's circulation pressure, and the dual exchanger fans are doing all the cooling for the SC system, not the open ambient free flowing air from vents or the hood being open all the way.

That is a myth with Supercharging, that extraction vents on hoods make temp differences. It's all the inter cooler design and size of heat exchanger that make the real sustained intake temps with SC set ups. Beware of false advertising about functional venting. Erik
Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I never had a problem with mine pulling lots of timing in normal driving. If I nailed it when it was hot outside, yes, the intake temps would hit 155-160. Even at that the car was still faster than stock. You're never going to have it do "nothing", that just defies physics. Theres nothing wrong with that kit, but just understand how it behaves. If you are one to cruise around normally with an occasional WOT run, it'll be fine. If you are a fiend from each stoplight, then get the intercooled kit if you can because it'll be heatsoaked all the time. Keep in mind the intercooled version of the Paxton kit will put down 480rwhp which is more than enough to snap the internals like twigs.

There are 2 other downsides to that kit:

1) If you live in a cold climate, you aren't supposed to drive it when its under like 20-25 degrees outside, or you can destroy the blower on the cold start. The $5000 Paxton HO will have the same problem.

2) You have to really put your foot on the floor to even know the blower is there. This isn't where most people drive RPM-wise. Most people are 0 - 4500 rpm. This kit just gets started at about 3000.

My honest advice if you have the money would be to order a Saleen from Brenspeed, or a Roush M90 if you're "ok" with the 450rwhp cap on that one. I enjoyed my Vortech, but I would not buy it again for the reasons above.

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

plus you're gonna need some gears with the centri's.. I can't imagine trying to run 3:31s with it lulz those damn granny gears are horrible unless you had something like a roots or twin screw and even then you'd be better off with at least 3:55s even though theres barely a difference between the two. The 4.10s I have are great for acceleration.. not so great for top end though (120+)

Quick Reply: Getting blown! Also question about Tuner