Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Question...purchasing mustang for my wife...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 AM
alderman99

Default Newbie Question...purchasing mustang for my wife...

All,

Obviously I'm brand new here and have a question I wanted to pose to those of you know these cars better than I do. So here goes...My wife is interested in getting a mustang (05 or newer) for her daily driver. She doesn't want to drive a conventional car and she's ended up fixating on mustangs. I guess my questions comes down to Gt or V6? Which would you recommend? I worry that the GT would be too much power for her and that the v6 would be easier to handle when the weather in sketchy and we live in central indiana so obviously weather is a concern. I have a 4x4 toyota so in really bad weather the mustang could stay home. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions...

Thanks
alderman
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Hmm, get her a V6. It hurts me to say that because I drive a V6, but a V6 would suit her needs well. From the sounds of it she wants a nice, fast, sporty looking vehicle, but with everyday vehicle performance. The Mustang V6 will deliver that all day.

The GT's are more for serious car lovers who want higher performance while maintaining the sporty looks.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

If looks is all she desires then yes a V6 would be fine, however if say you would drive it as well and you enjoy power then I recommend a GT, my car is pretty predictable in snow with the stock all season tires and a V8, not to mention they are equipped with traction control to help out with a slippery launch.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Hey Alderman. I had this same issue myself. We got the V6 for two reasons, one was price, and the other was power. She drives the car to work and I tinker with it on the weekend. :-) I got a 2010 v6 preimum for a good price.

With that said I would prefer to have either the 2011 v6 which has 305HP, or a V8.

Since we bought the v6 in July I've added a few items to make it more fun to drive and still below the V8 power. I added a CAI and tune from American Muscle. And then added some lowering springs to give it a more sporty appearance.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 AM
alderman99

you guys are quick..

I definitely would drive it on the weekends...and I would love the GT. If you ask my wife she too would prefer the GT. she likes to drive fast and has her moments of road rage...which is exactly what scares me. I worry that she has no idea what she is getting into compared to her current 4 cyl nissan. I'm sure she'd mostly figure it out...but I suspect things could get out of hand real quick with a GT...

thanks again...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Rent her a GT for a week or so, see what trouble she gets herself in.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Why not just test drive both at a dealer? Take the v6 out first drive it around, then hop in a gt. You may even say the gt is a little to much for daily driving after you drove the v6.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Our current Mustang GT belongs to my wife...well, I'm on the title, but yeah, its her car...I have a truck.

To me, the question really shouldn't be based on gender, rather, is the person that's getting a powerful car a "good" driver? As in, minimal accidents, cognizant of their surroundings, not afraid to drive, manuever...etc, etc...

I have male friends that are TERRIBLE drivers, (complacent, timid, not attentive), I feel those people have no business with a fast/powerful car, or any car for that matter, lol.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If she prefers the GT and you feel the same, then a GT it should be. The fuel mileage difference is minimal (~2-3 MPG). My g/f (also fixates on Stangs) had driven my GT but wanted a V6 for herself.

I suggest you read thru the list of TSB's, though, in the stickies to get an idea of some of the issues to be aware of when test driving and looking. The '05's and '06s are affected the most but some of the problems lingered on thru the 09's.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Milspec
Our current Mustang GT belongs to my wife...well, I'm on the title, but yeah, its her car...I have a truck.

To me, the question really shouldn't be based on gender, rather, is the person that's getting a powerful car a "good" driver? As in, minimal accidents, cognizant of their surroundings, not afraid to drive, manuever...etc, etc...

I have male friends that are TERRIBLE drivers, (complacent, timid, not attentive), I feel those people have no business with a fast/powerful car, or any car for that matter, lol.
I think that's a great question haha. It definitely has nothing to do with gender but completely safety behind the wheel. I know that if I weren't a good driver I wouldn't have gotten any approval from the people around me on getting a GT. Even if she gets in moments of road rage, I would assume she probably controls herself from just going completely crazy which would mean a GT would be perfectly fine.

I should say that I definitely get times of "road rage" where I'll get pissed off at other drivers, but I don't suddenly fly off the handle and spin the wheels or something. So I think it's important how she reacts to being upset at the wheel that's important.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question...purchasing mustang for my wife...