Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 in the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
SVT_Cobra_96

Default V6 in the Winter

Hey all, i got some questions about the V6 for a daily driver in the winter.
Ive got a 96 Cobra that sits in the garage all winter and i miss driving it. So i am looking for v-6 as a daily driver, i live in CT so we get some snow (this year mor than usual).
I am wondering if anyone else has a v6 that they drive all year and how it handles.
I am looking for a manual, i am guessing that may help some, plus manual if more fun in a mustang.
I am planning to put snow tires on it as well, and weigh the back end down some.
The other big question i have is with the 2011, Ford is claiming it is the first truely all season mustang, is that true? What have they done different in the 2011 vs 2005-2010 that makes it that much better as an all season car....or is it marketing bs. If i go the 2011 route i will be going the most basic model, no bells or whistles.
If anyone has some input or expreinces on a v6 as an all year car in all types of weather (primarly the snow) i would appreciate it. Keep in mind, i avoid going in the snow unless i have to...pretty much work and home if needed, otherwise if it snows i stay home.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
JimC

Lots of threads on this - I don't know why people get so uptight about driving a RWD in the snow though. When I got my license in 1969 almost every car was RWD. We get lots of snow here in SE Michigan and none of us sat at home all winter.

I drive my 2006 every single day - the odometer has over 163,000 miles on it right now. I drive in all kinds of weather, and have a 45 mile commute - just last week I drove home in a raging blizzard with white out conditions

On the standard all season Pirelli Pzero's. No problems, have never had a problem. I don't put any weight in the trunk. Just make sure I have good tires for the season, take it easy on the starts, give myself room for stopping.

The only cars I had problems with in the snow was my 1986 T-bird; the rear end was very light and it was hard to get traction sometimes. And the 1999 Trans Am - but that was because the tires were better suited to summer than to winter. Even those two weren't so bad that I thought I couldn't go anywhere I wanted or needed to go.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

You will probably find many recommendations for a GT with the LSD (i.e. not the 3.3 rear end) and T/C. I have had no issues with my GT + snow tires...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM
SVT_Cobra_96

thanks for the input...
i dont drive the cobra in the winter becasue of teh sand and salt on the roads, trying to keep it in the best shape. I have always had a front wheel drive or 4x4 for the winter, so i have never drive a rwd in the snow. Ive heard people say mixed things, some say not bad some say terrible. I imagine the winters in Michigan are worse than CT. I know my current fwd car sucks in the snow (i think its mostly the tires) but i figure if i am going to drop $$ on snow tires might as well be on a car i want.
I was leaning towards teh v6 primarily because its cheaper (car cost and insurance), and a little better on gas, plus i do have the Cobra.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I drive mine all year round. I'd rather not, but it gets me where I need to go
Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

2009 V6. Drove year round. Get Blizzak tires and some sand to trow in the trunk and you will have absolutely no problems whatsoever. Even in this snow we've been getting!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I drive mine all year and its fine. Just make sure to have either some amazing all seasons or a set of summer and a set of winter tires.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Snow and 3/4s of a motor is probably a good thing.
My mustang doesn't have any undercoatinging that I can see, unless it's some kind of new tec stuff that doesn't look like tar. But then, there is also no need for undercoating here.
I don't know why Ford makes a V-6 mustang. Just make a V-8 with less hp. It would sound much better than a V6 and get decent milage with lets say 250 hp. And if you wanted more HP all you would have to do is add more.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVT_Cobra_96
The other big question i have is with the 2011, Ford is claiming it is the first truely all season mustang, is that true? What have they done different in the 2011 vs 2005-2010 that makes it that much better as an all season car....or is it marketing bs. If i go the 2011 route i will be going the most basic model, no bells or whistles.
The biggest difference in the 2005-10 VS the 11 not counting engine and trans is the 11 has the 8.8 with Traction lock in it VS the 7.5 open end in the older 2005-10.
The Limited slip with the traction Control will be a lot better than the open end with the traction control in the snow.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I agree it's likely the traction control difference.
Earlier s197 v6's ('05 and not sure how much after), with the stock LSD, were sometimes susceptible to loosing traction and control when making slow left-hand turns on slippery surfaces, throwing you into a spin unexpectedly. The trac-loc solves that.

Otherwise, no issues.

Quick Reply: V6 in the Winter