Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque vs. Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger

What I really want to find out is, if a brochure of car A says it has 600HP and car B has 550HP, does that mean that Car A will faster? I am looking for a typical answer, as gear ratio, aerodynamics, and the like, are never included on the brochure)
The correct answer is C: Not enough information.

HP, and even torque figures will simply not tell you what car is faster. You can make assumptions, but without knowing the details of the car, you could be wrong.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

true, to really know how fast a car is the weight, aerodynamics, hp, torque, and gearing all play a major role in it.

for comparison purposes though the best things to look at are the hp torque weight and gearing.

as far as hp vs torque, im not an expert on the subject, so maybe im a bit off on this. but ive always though of it like this.

torque is the strength, the force thats applied to move the car, and hp is the speed at which its done.

for example think of using a a crank and pulley to lift some concrete in a pale.

lets say your strong enough to turn the crank at a set speed with one hand lifting hte pale.

now lets apply both hands at the same speed, the task just became easier right but the pale is still moving up at teh same speed.

the "hp" or speed at which you move the pale is a function of the strength "torque" you have to move it.

now lets increase the speed of the pale(hp) by increasing your speed of rotating the crank (rpm) to lift the pale faster. in order to do this you have to meet the necessary strength requirements in order to increase your speed, and the amount of strength you have determines your max speed you can go at a given rpm.

i could be the fastest man on the planet, but only capable of lifting 200lbs.

now lets take someone capable of lifting 500lbs but slower than me in running the 40 yd dash.

were tasked with taking a 150lb object 40yds fastest man wins. i the "fast" one would lose this because i would be at my strength "torque" limits moving the object.

the strong man would have abundant strength for this feat and therefor be able to apply more speed "hp" to it and complete it faster.

i hope that makes sense.

Last edited by modru2004; 01-31-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
So in reality, a buyer would really want to know the torque comparison between two cars and not the HP?
Close.

A slightly better comparison would look something like . . .

[AverageTorque] x [Axle gearing] / [CarWeight]

But since most engines make about the same amount of torque per liter of displacement (about 70 ft-lb/liter, give or take maybe 5), your "first cut" could simply replace the [AverageTorque] with [EngineDisplacement]. Keep in mind that cars with engines that have poorish low end torque but good high -end power tend to be geared a bit "deeper" than cars with engines tuned for better low end performance. It's not by mere coincidence, either.

You can carry the mathematical simulation a long way from there as you start to question how much effect things like aero and rolling drag, wheel/tire/flywheel rotational inertia, and actual torque curve shape might have. There's quite a few more things that aren't too difficult to include if you're so inclined.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-31-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you also have to look at the curves on each the torque and HP on the dyno graph.
people tend to look at peak hp/tq, but what is more important is where each hits its peak and the total power delivered over time.
measure the area under each curve to find total power.

the most important statistic is et's.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Heres a quick analogy.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall after you hit it.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
jlc41
2nd Gear Member

After reading all this I think I'll have to do a tear down and rebuild on my brain, what ever is left of it. Good stuff...lol
Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Once this post is all said and done, if anyone is interested in knowing what came first the chicken or the egg send me a PM. The answer will surprise you.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

My rice bike great HP to weight ratio.
My 351W has nice low rpm torque.

351W feels strong when punch it from cruising rpm.
Bike has no power when punch it from cruising rpm.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:10 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
Once this post is all said and done, if anyone is interested in knowing what came first the chicken or the egg send me a PM. The answer will surprise you.
Neither, the Gecko came first!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Jim5.0,

This will be off topic, but what is the squirrel of death? lol

Quick Reply: Torque vs. Horsepower