Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to make seats more comfy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Question Best way to make seats more comfy?

Hey all,

So this coming spring/summer I'm looking to finally make the seats in this Stang tolerable. I know I bitch about it a lot, but frankly the seats in this Saleen are soooo uncomfortable. The are stiff enough, that my GF, who weights probably in the 115-120 area, sometimes doesn't even trip the occupancy sensor, despite having it reset/zero'd out.

Ideally, I'd like to pull them, and take them to someone who can re-foam/re-pad them in a way that allows us to keep the same cover, as its made by Saleen. Is this possible?

Outside of that, I got a chance to sit in a 2011 at the Auto show this weekend, and I must say those seats were 100% better. How far back did they use those seats? Perhaps I could find a wrecked one and take those seats if I had to, and just store the Saleen seats somewhere.

Any ideas you all have are welcome. Ideally, I'd like to keep the Saleen seats and make them more comfortable. But the end result should be a ride that I actually WANT to sit in lol.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

A good shop can cut out the top part of the Saleen foam and install a more likable softness. You might be able to get the factory foam and have a shop add/subtract foam to fit the covers. In the end, you could buy the '11 seats....... The biggest problem is finding a shop that can/will work with you and do a quality job.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

The front seats on the 2011 were introduced on the 2010 model year. Not sure if you'd want to swap the rears out as well, to match, but you'd need to find something off a 2005-2009 since the seats were slightly different on the 2010, and the 2011 has the rear head rests.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the information. I'd def take a whack and retaining the Saleen look before I went fully back to 'stock'. But if stock is what it takes to be comfy, then thats where I'll go.

Perhaps now is the time to learn how to do interior stuff myself lol.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

You could try an upholstery shop that specializes in autos and boats. They may be able to take the OEM seats and put better padding in there.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Roush apparently uses their own foam with their seats that holds you in place for "performance" driving. That sound pretty good to me, maybe you could find/buy the foam somewhere.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have an 06 which I bought used with 15k miles on it. Either some fat *** owned it before me or ford cheaped out on the butt padding. Mine feels bottomed out completly. I'm 6,2 215 lbs which shouldn't overwhelm the cushion.
I'm with you OP, comfortable seats would be nice.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

I also have been looking at replacing/refoaming my seats, but I have the airbag within the seat. Can an auto shop work around that? And if I were to replace the stock seat with another seat without an airbag, would the car show the airbag light on the dash? That has been a concern for me because the Texas inspection criteria ensures that the airbag system is fully functional.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM
BadhandUK

Originally Posted by 07 Cervini
I also have been looking at replacing/refoaming my seats, but I have the airbag within the seat. Can an auto shop work around that? And if I were to replace the stock seat with another seat without an airbag, would the car show the airbag light on the dash? That has been a concern for me because the Texas inspection criteria ensures that the airbag system is fully functional.
Its not an airbag in your seat, just the sensor. Unless you have an ejector seat... Sure you knew that tho! My buddy dealt with the electrics hassle when he fitted these for me. Its not easy, but its definitely possible...

Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Cervini
Where do you see that at? http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...classsubmit=Go

Quick Reply: Best way to make seats more comfy?