Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronic Fuse Blow

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Chronic Fuse Blow

My accessory delay feeds fuse (5 amp) constantly blows, and then my windows don't work (soft drop and bounce back do, but the window controls don't).

What are accessory delay feeds?

And would it hurt to put in a slightly larger fuse?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
What are accessory delay feeds?
This keeps power for 10mins after turning off the key from ACC for peripherals so long as you do not open a door.
See page 10 here.

And would it hurt to put in a slightly larger fuse?
Yes. This isn´t some arbitrary number, if it´s chronic in toasting, then something is wrong. This is using a low current board, you press it and it will fail as it´s powering many things, including the window motors themselves, the motors are directly wired to the relay rather than fused in this case. Which is why they still do their automated functioning.

They´re 2 5amp fuses on this, I´m guessing F6 since you´re stating the window control is gone? Trying to power an after-market head-unit from the switched line or something?

This should be killing window control, interior door lock switches, and the radio.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-05-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Blowing a fuse means the fuse is taking more than it can handle. The reason for this increase in amps is the tricky part. with the electronics that are in newer mustangs, And in most cars, are above my pay grade.
Talk with a electronic person at a Ford dealership. Then go talk to a different electronics person at a different dealership.
A long time ago if fuses continued to blow, I’d just stick a bolt in the fuse holder and replace what ever wire started to smoke, don't try that with today’s electronics unless a new car is in the plans.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Well - this sucks - and explains a lot - but I think I have an easy fix.

I need to know exactly what wire it is when I take off the center dash console (colors please lol). My friend wired my (top of the line) radio and when I open the door, it DOESN'T turn off

Since the wire obviously isn't connected to the Accessory Delay Feeds wire, then ALL of the power that isn't used on that would be going to the fuse

So I think he spliced the wrong wires.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 02-05-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Is that the same friend that ordered your CAI from Amazon? I'd tie him to a tree in sub-freezing weather, hose him down and shove the CAI up his azz.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Is that the same friend that ordered your CAI from Amazon? I'd tie him to a tree in sub-freezing weather, hose him down and shove the CAI up his azz.
I hit him in the face last night - AFTER forcing him to fix my speakers.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Ask your 'friend' if he knows what a wiring diagram is, lol.
The mention of having your radio wired in, well, that's important information here. Something's wired wrong or too much was added to the existing 5A circuit.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Ask your 'friend' if he knows what a wiring diagram is, lol.
The mention of having your radio wired in, well, that's important information here. Something's wired wrong or too much was added to the existing 5A circuit.
We were actually looking at one as we did it.

He works strictly on Ricers - I'm the one exception. He's made quite a few mistakes already - I think I'm going to start seeing if my other friend (who is a licensed mechanic - and also restoring a classic Chevelle in his garage) can work on it instead, haha
Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
He works strictly on Ricers -
That's your problem. Next thing you you are going to come out to your car and see some hideous spoiler on the back of your car with different painted fenders in a various stages of repair because "it looks like a race car."

I had some ricer tell me that. I said it like like a piece of **** that would get stop by the cops every time you wake up the hamster sleeping on that little wheel you got down there.

Sorry for the rant, been dealing with ricers lately and their little antics.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
That's your problem. Next thing you you are going to come out to your car and see some hideous spoiler on the back of your car with different painted fenders in a various stages of repair because "it looks like a race car."

I had some ricer tell me that. I said it like like a piece of **** that would get stop by the cops every time you wake up the hamster sleeping on that little wheel you got down there.

Sorry for the rant, been dealing with ricers lately and their little antics.
He doesn't touch my exterior - yet - and all look mods he does are pre approved by me. Like the front and rear bumper covers we're getting this summer.

Front bumper (can't decide which 1 - I'll let you guys pick it - and neither is not an option)

Rear bumper

Which front one you like best?

Quick Reply: Chronic Fuse Blow