Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a tune void the powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's really a crap shoot if you'll get a hassle or not, depending on the dealership and whether you have real ********* or wear a man-skirt. Many people are intimidated by the dealership, especially younger buyers/owners.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Does anyone on here have any stories or experience where something simple like a CAI and tune caused a dealership to deny warranty work? I mean as long as you have a good tune, there should be absolutely no problems with the engine over the stock tune. That should make it pretty easy to win over a dealership, but I'd like to hear from someone that has had to deal with it before. Nuke, what was the outcome of the pole you had a little bit ago asking how many people had a tune? I'm sure someone from that group has had either a good or bad experience with the dealership because of it.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Of the repondents, about 70% were running a non-stock tune.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm sure someone in that 70% has had warranty work done on the engine, which is the only thing I could see them denying work on, so lets hear some stories, good or bad.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've had my Stang in for warranty work on about 3 occasions but nothing power train related. On each occasion, the CAI & tune were installed. Other than a "good looking intake" comment once or twice, it was never a problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

While the law is in place to help protect you, the level of success you might have in "fighting" it is debatable. While its nice to stand there and spew your rights and stand up for the "little guy" and all that... in the end, the dealership and Ford probably has more money than you do. And in cases where they refuse to budge, they are wagering that the money you'd have to spend to sue them, along with the burden of proof that the part didn't cause a failure... won't be worth it to you, or even be feasible.

I adhere to the "pay to play" line of thinking. Sure, I'd consider taking the car in depending on the problem, but if I've modified it, I don't expect jack. Its just not fair to do so IMHO. Think about it this way, if you built some product in your spare time in the garage and sold it with a "warranty"... then a month later some dude comes back with it, and has modified it, but expects YOU to fix what went wrong with it... your probable response would be "wtf man?"

If you are worried about warranty, leave the car stock, or go buy a faster car with a warranty. Thats my $.02

Last edited by Mudflap; 02-07-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

the camaro, especially the v6 (wife owns a 2011) uses ?direct-port injection? and from what I can tell, there is no camaro "brenspeed or bama"...no one, yet, has the expertise to tune, and may are going bad...This direct port injection also, from what I've heard, makes it real tough to tune...Also, she wanted cams (for the sound) until she found out it has 4 of them...OP, look for me on camaro5...same handle
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
the camaro, especially the v6 (wife owns a 2011) uses ?direct-port injection? and from what I can tell, there is no camaro "brenspeed or bama"...no one, yet, has the expertise to tune, and may are going bad...This direct port injection also, from what I've heard, makes it real tough to tune...Also, she wanted cams (for the sound) until she found out it has 4 of them...OP, look for me on camaro5...same handle
Yes the v6 has direct injection, but the ls3 in the ss models is just a good ol push rod engine and is pretty easy for tuners to work with. The engine has been in corvettes since 2008, and also in the g8. Plenty of companies know how to get some great power out of them.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
onegoal
Banned

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
Yes the v6 has direct injection, but the ls3 in the ss models is just a good ol push rod engine and is pretty easy for tuners to work with. The engine has been in corvettes since 2008, and also in the g8. Plenty of companies know how to get some great power out of them.
Would a good tune help a SS beat a stock GT?

All the comparisons I see the GT beats the SS in 0-60.

So would a good tune wake a SS up and make it into a beast?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Now Onegoal wants a Camaro. This guy is to funny. I can see him buying one, then complaining that it's too slow, and want a Vette. Then the Vette would be too slow and want something even faster. What he needs to realize is that there will always be something faster out there now matter what you drive. You should be happy with what you got. There are plenty of people with lesser cars than you have, and are very contempt with it. You sound like a spoiled brat. And by the way how old are you? You sound like you're 16 or 17.

Quick Reply: Does a tune void the powertrain warranty?