Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Stalling, cut off while making a turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang Stalling, cut off while making a turn

Good Evening all. Just FYI I did search around for my issue before posting a thread, just couldn't find anything to fit my issue specifically.

Well this morning my mustang would not turn over after the first initial try, second try it started fine. So I let it warm up as usual. about 1/2 mile down the road I came to a stop sign, tried to make the turn but the car shut off. Put it back in park and cranked it right back up. After that whenever I come to a stop, the rpm's get really low, almost to the point of stalling out. I had axle back Pype bombs put on the car last week. This is the only other mod in addition to a Steeda CAI and a bamachips 93 octane tune.

So where should I start to look? Battery? Fuel?

I checked for codes, i have none at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If we had carbs I'd say you had a bad float, but we don't...

Are you having any electrical indications of a bad battery or some issue with the charging system? At low idle your alternator could have a low or no output. Compound that with a weak battery and it could mess with the electronics.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If we had carbs I'd say you had a bad float, but we don't...

Are you having any electrical indications of a bad battery or some issue with the charging system? At low idle your alternator could have a low or no output. Compound that with a weak battery and it could mess with the electronics.
Well maybe a month ago I had an issue, getting a message when starting the car to check the charging system. It was maybe 10 degrees out so I figured it was the cold. Guess I need to get the battery an alternator checked then asap
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're still using the OE MotorCrap battery, then I'd say you're overdue. And these charging systems are so sensitive that a battery problem can degrade an alternator. Good idea to have both load tested. The forum is full of threads about bad batteries and alternators causing electrical gremlins.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

A little far fetched but you can swap out your fuel filter too.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
A little far fetched but you can swap out your fuel filter too.
Not far fetched at all. I was so focused on electrical that I totally ignored fuel delivery. I'd also run a tank or 2 of SeaFoam or other good fuel system cleaner plus clean the TB.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Not far fetched at all. I was so focused on electrical that I totally ignored fuel delivery. I'd also run a tank or 2 of SeaFoam or other good fuel system cleaner plus clean the TB.
Ok well I had the battery checked. It needed to be replaced so I purchased a new one. Didnt help tho, same issue.

Guess I will do the fuel filter swap or run the seafoam.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 PM
DougFL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dame83
Well this morning my mustang would not turn over after the first initial try, second try it started fine. So I let it warm up as usual. about 1/2 mile down the road I came to a stop sign, tried to make the turn but the car shut off. Put it back in park and cranked it right back up. After that whenever I come to a stop, the rpm's get really low, almost to the point of stalling out.
Sounds like either fuel filter or faulty fuel injectors to me...
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
CKurello
3rd Gear Member

Clean your throttle body (make sure to use TB cleaner not carb or MAF). I had a similar problem and it was just a dirty TB (stupid electronic TB).
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

New guy without a mustang here but one question. Did the car get into the turn before shutting off or just when you stopped

Quick Reply: Mustang Stalling, cut off while making a turn