Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shopping...first mustang...need a few questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Is this your first car or are you diluted? Just toss the shop a blank check and let them have your way with your car, huh? Brakes are not changed on some set mileage but based on wear. I've had brakes that the shop refused to replace at 150,000 miles.

I suppose you forgot that the OP is a Toyota owner. Comparing a Ford to a Toyota as far as lasting forever is like trying to polish a turd.

Flame on...
Gotta ĻdittoĻ the sentiment all around.

45k now, brakes are still good for one. But I hardly expect the car to be driven like I do, and have it last 250k before even seals and such start to go like it would for other foreign makes.

Iīd get it for the fun factor over others, itīs indeed far more reliable and likely to last longer than models from the more recent past. That said, I really wouldn't count on it ranking with the percentage of foreign toyota's, vw's and such making it 18yrs down the road being steady beat on and still only needing basic maintenance work to function near as it did new.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunyou
Here is my thought. We've been married 7 years(today actually) and I've watched her go through cars like toilet paper. Each time she settled for something less than she really wanted and it has caused her to continuously want something bigger and better. So while for now she likes the look of the simple V6, why not find a GT so that there is nothing left to want, as the foreeable future doesn't provide for any special Mustangs(rousch, Shelby, etc).

I guess I don't want two years to go by and her wanting the GT when a little patience Nd due dillegence could have saved a headache.
LOL! Next thing you know, she'll be wanting a Shelby GT500.

Might want to go with the V8 then. If she wants more power, then you can start modding on top of that. Even tho the V6 can be modded as well, you'll never get the same V8 muscle rumble sound.

I personally never bothered test driving the V6. I knew what I wanted right off the bat and went straight for V8.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

I in no way expect Toyota reliability out of this car. We have a Camry, two land cruisers, and a 4runner now. The Camry and one LC are likely to go before we buy the Mustang so I'll still have "my" reliable 4x4s and she'll have the car.

Yeah the Shelby is going to be out of the picture for a long long time. So no worries there.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Yeah that's why Toyota's are rusting through and not stopping, also even newbs need love too.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Is this your first car or are you diluted? Just toss the shop a blank check and let them have your way with your car, huh? Brakes are not changed on some set mileage but based on wear. I've had brakes that the shop refused to replace at 150,000 miles.

I suppose you forgot that the OP is a Toyota owner. Comparing a Ford to a Toyota as far as lasting forever is like trying to polish a turd.

Flame on...
Nuke, I'm surprised at these statements from you....truly? You have been around mustangs for as long as I have or you make it seem so (25yrs). 1st I always do my own work. I swear you must be paid by a chevy/toyota dealer to make these statements or you must of gotten the worst mustangs out there and or gotten/given mis-information. These were estimates I gave to this guy who has no idea as to when service is required. If you pay to have your oil changed...how much extra to change the fuel filter...$20.00...big deal, maybe the Nuke business makes you frugal? Brakes wear according to driver, I noticed around 20,000 miles for my fronts and 25,000 for rears which also applies to most people I know with Mustangs. Different types of cars have different wear rate....I have a 2001 Ram 1500...I have 98K on it and it still has it's OEM rear brakes and changed the fronts only once at 50K.....the question wasn't directed at Dodge or Toyota....Mustang....pay attention....I could help you....if you loose focus. A forum is about a collective of information from a diverse group of people it's up to the individual asking the question to grasp what info they want and what info to dismiss if it seems questionable. I'm not sure what makes you or anyone of us the experts...all we do as a group/forum is offer our experience as we see it. So pay attention and have respect for the thoughts of others!! You got to be a crack-pot with that "diluted" statement....where do you come up with this crap....you sound like an ex-girl friend....way out there!! Anyways try to be more open in the future the forum will be a better place because of that.

Last edited by daredevil95; 02-08-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Meh, the whole "Toyota's last forever and Ford's don't" stuff is getting very old.

My family is a Ford family and their still driving their 92 Aerostar's, Windstars, F150's, sister's Focus all well over 200K miles and still going strong. Heck, my 2000 Mustang v6 went to 260K miles and still runs today, I just gave it away.

Maybe back in the 1980's, yes, Ford sucked ***. Nowadays, no.

I've seen Ford's last just as long as Toyota's, Keywords: IF YOU TAKE CARE OF EM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Meh, the whole "Toyota's last forever and Ford's don't" stuff is getting very old.
Not to keep it truly going on a mustang board of all places, but from experience, beating for beating, on average certain foreign makes just tend to require far less if any, Ļfix this or thatĻ before it becomes acute, or suddenly becomes an acute issue. Not that Iīd summarily categorize Toyota in this, no experience there.

True, in many instances itīs not an apple to apple comparison. Canīt truly compare the 4 cylinder putter to an 8 iron at an even scale...still..
Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Didn't intend to start a Toyota vs the world argument. Just showcasing the idea that I needed direction as my experience is almost 100% in Toyota 4x4s. I wouldn't compare a Mustang to a Camry. I might compare comparable like an f150 and tundra, pickup and ranger, etc but not here unless I wanted to be labeled a troll. And we all know Trolls don't get fed or helped.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

^touche friend, lol...

I love my GT but really it's all about the test drive. I drove v6's of almost every platform and v8's as well and landed on my 2006 GT and have loved every minute of it. Haven't owned it long enough to give advise on upkeep other than change the oil when scheduled, haha...good luck with your search and hopefully you find whatever makes her happy.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunyou
I wouldn't compare a Mustang to a Camry. I might compare comparable like an f150 and tundra, pickup and ranger, etc but not here unless I wanted to be labeled a troll. And we all know Trolls don't get fed or helped.
Not you trolling man, likely me. Itīs how I (t)roll.

Iīd expect a few minor issues to crop up. Usually more annoyance than $ issues. Rattles that crop up from loosened plastic pieces, the obvious lookouts for the TSBīs, electrical charging based minor problems(alt/battery), other than those.. All easily fixed with some minor research and hunting down.

Iīve just had personally 1 TSB related issue myself, synchronizers on my manual 5speed. Still not really an ĻissueĻ per say, more annoyance(<40F grind first and maybe second time into 3rd gear). And as stated, 45k now on mine. Tires are the only thing that have gone, which is shocking they made it to 40k. I do beat the snot out of this car, and it is the DD.

Had to get the GT myself, but as stated 6 might be great for her as well if both are test driven, with the bonus of not spending as much on gas.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-08-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Car shopping...first mustang...need a few questions answered