Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

miles acceptable on new car

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I don't think I would deal with them. If they can't be honest up front, no telling what else they may be hiding.
If you really want the car, you should look it over inside and out then request they take off $1K for it being a Demo. It's basically a new, used car IMO.
I was fortunate to buy mine straight off the car carrier with only 3 miles. So I know mine wasn't abused.
Also keep in mine, if you get that car with 400 miles, you will instantly be putting another 200 miles just to get it home unless you plan on towing it.
Don't you have any reputable Ford dealers in your area?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Mine had 192 miles on it. Sure, that concerned me as that is several hours of driving time. But I also knew that when I agreed to buy it.

But, it was immaculate, no scratches, no nicks in the paint, very clean, and I went over it very carefully.

I haven't had a bit of trouble with it either.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 AM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

id just like to point out that you really need to clarify what "abused" is.

new cars don't need a break in like they used to. the only thing the manual even says to worry about is varying the engine speed for the first 1k miles, thats it.

nothing says you can't ride a new car hard, fast, and have fun. manual doesn't say it has to be under a specific rpm for xxxx miles.

for alot of people they are **** when it comes to new things ( i am myself) you worry over every bump you hit, you worry about your engine, is that a problem you here? is that a new noise?

in the end you end up so worried about it you start imagining crap, or you obsess over it so much you don't enjoy it.

inspect it, drive it, enjoy it.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Just for information's sake, i work at a Ford plant. We can ship a vehicle with a max of 75 miles on it. Upper mgmt. and Quality Control drives random vehicles for evaluation and quality control, but they MUST be kept under 75 miles.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I bought my car (2011 GT Premium) with 1300 miles "used". Dude had it in his garage for 6 months then traded it in to the same dealership where he bought it for a 2011 GT500. He originally bought it on A-plan.

As I recall off the top of my head ,,,

MSRP was 36.6k
Invoice was 33.3k
A-plan was 32.8k
I bought it for 29k

I would expect a similar deal with 400 demo miles on yours. Personally, I would prefer the 1300 miles on mine because the guy actually owned and cared for the car. Rather than who knows how many people driving it 400 miles for kicks.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
gtbillyb
1st Gear Member

Try to get them to tack on the 400 miles onto the warranty..36400 instead of 3600
Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
gtbillyb
1st Gear Member

sorry..meant 36000
Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

Unless your deal is under invoice I'd walk away. 400 miles doesn't seem like much but if you are hard on your brakes before they seat correctly or are hard on the clutch if it's a manual then those parts will fail early. It may not show up until 30-40K miles.

I could never understand why people would by a demo unless it was sold for 2-3K under invoice. If you are paying new car price you should get a new car not a weekend loaner the owner played with.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I agree with what most people are saying. Unless you're being offered a damn good deal that is a good portion below invoice, I wouldn't take the offer by any means.

400 miles in my opinion is well beyond what "new" should consist of.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Just FYI - When I was shopping for my previous car - a 2006 GT Premium Convertible - One dealer close to home had a car with the color/options I wanted. It had about 1500 miles on it. At the time I worked 1.2 miles from home so it would have taken me almost a year to put this many miles on it. The car was being used/driven by one of the female sales managers - just because she liked the car and could do it. I heard from the salesman that this was common with her and when it reached 2000 miles, she was going to start driving a new yellow GT vert. This is crazy!!!!! As soon as I drove it off the lot it would transform into a "used car with 1500+ miles on it"

They did not want to negotiate on the car at all. When I opened the trunk and interior storage, it had all of her and her family's stuff in it.

Obviously, I did not buy the car - but it just goes to show what some dealers think they can do and get away with. I bought a car from another dealer 50 miles away with 11 miles on it.

I actually bought my new 2011 GT from the same (first) dealer (they are 3 miles from my home) because it had the color/options I wanted and was scarce - also build date was 01/11 and it had 5 miles on it. This woman was still there and I saw her driving a "new" 2011 Grabber Blue GT Convertible.

WTF! - Unacceptable!!! I guess she must have "connections" as she "may" be considered "attractive" by some. Oh well... Live and learn.

Try to get them to come down on the $. If you really want the car, probably the miles is not going to be a problem - it's the principle. Otherwise - go elsewhere. Good luck.

Last edited by rogan01; 02-18-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: miles acceptable on new car