Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's about time...Mustang's coming to Nascar

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Good video!!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:26 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
What part, besides maybe the grill is a Mustang? I guess I would root for it!
Absolutely nothing changes. It's a different sticker.

The Nationwide series started running Mustangs this year. They look pretty good...the stickers, I mean.

O/T, this year's 500 was entertaining for the first time in like 5 years for me. I think they're starting to go back in the right direction.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

NASCAR is so lame. All of the cars are freaking twins.

The other categories are so much better. GT and Rally (even though its all stages) are my favorites.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

when I think of Camrys, Impalas, and Fusions, I think of "Old Man Tan" and a constant left blinker.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
Yes, they say that push and pull 2 car racing runs faster than not doing it. The down side is if someone wiggles too much, they spin out. That's why there were a record number of 15 cautions today at the race.

Here's what is even more bothersome. I heard today on the pre-race show that 21 million dollars worth of black top was put down at 5 inches thick at Daytona recently. This is done to smooth out the track so they can go faster. Then they put restrictor plates in the air/fuel intake to limit top speeds. Lastly, the drivers now run this push/pull 2 car tactic to go faster.

So, that's 3 things speed related with only the restrictor plates aimed at slowing things down. Wouldn't it be better racing if they forget the restrictor plates and let the cars race like they want to race? What's the difference in 195 mph and 215? Both are crazy fast.
It needed a recoat for sure...last year's race was marred by delays when a small pothole developed between Turns 1 and 2 during 500.... it was a sloppy uneventfull race outside of seeing the #1 car take the checkered. I still couldn't believe that it was delayed for more than two hours. What was a worn, slick surface has been transformed into a grip-rich billiards highway now. Until the track surface gets broken in the handling for the cars is going to stink. Though Goodyear did a great got at the 500 here for what tire they brought.... prob one of the best superspeedways tires they're ever had in terms of wear and tear.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

hey....for what its worth, and we know its nothing like any mustang we drive, but carl edwards did drive that mustang to victory this weekend in iowa
Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

I agree. While I approve of the development I'd be more excited if an actual Mustang was raced. Would love to see it take on the rest of the GT field in ALMS, tho.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

I may be showing my age, but I remember when you could actually recognize stock cars for the cars they purported to be... and they were usually the manufacturers sports cars not the ones they were trying to advertise to the public. Come on now, a Fusion rather than a Mustang...ugh
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Don't forget, it was the Taurus before that. And the Monte Carlo instead of the Camaro or even the Lumina?! I have followed Nascar for the past 15+ years, I am 26, but have been going to races for as long as I can remember. That was one thing I never understood, if its all about speed, why aren't the muscle cars racing? The only thing I could ever think, is back to the old NASCAR adage, what wins on Sunday, sells on Monday and that it was done to drive sales of those models. Because really, the Camaro and Mustang sell themselves. Everyone is familiar with those models, but the Fusion, Taurus, Monte Carlo, and Lumina, maybe not so much.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
I am 26, but have been going to races for as long as I can remember. That was one thing I never understood, if its all about speed, why aren't the muscle cars racing?
Used to be, it was the muscle cars, and that was before your time (before Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s career as well). Intermediate sedans that in stock form would comfortably seat four or five full size adults and powered by large-displacement engines rather than ponycars (which ran in SCCA's Under 5-liter Trans-Am road-racing series). Go HERE for a hint of what NASCAR race cars were like before the sanctioning body got carried away with rule-tinkering and equalization.

You could perhaps argue that the current Mustang, Camaro and Challenger are "big enough" to qualify as "musclecars", but that is not their heritage and the back seats are still not fit for adult occupation for extended lengths of time. There haven't been any real (read: traditional, if you must) muscle cars built in over 20 years.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: It's about time...Mustang's coming to Nascar