Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT with Factory CAI - Best Aftermarket air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:36 PM
dolfinwriter

Default 2010 GT with Factory CAI - Best Aftermarket air filter?

Been searching all over for any data, reviews, testing on these two filters:

aFe 30-80179 vs. K&N 33-2431

aFe claims to flow 33% more than factory filter, but can't find any actual numbers on cheaper K&N filter, nor any kind of comparison on the two.

Any one seen anything on these?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

To be honest, it's a lost cause. First because the #'s posted are bogus and therefore, useless. Second, it doesn't matter, even IF you get a few more % flow. If you want more power, get a custom tune. Where you MIGHT pick up 1-2 RWHP with a different filter, you'll pick up about 8-10 more with a custom tune on your '10.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 PM
dolfinwriter

Thanks, but at this point I'm looking more to maximize gas mileage for my daily driver.

=> Free breathing

What kind of filter do you run on your 2007?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

I HIGHLY recommend K&N! I have literally been able to tell a difference just by installing one in a few of my vehicles. I run one in every car, truck, & bike I own!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dolfinwriter
Thanks, but at this point I'm looking more to maximize gas mileage for my daily driver.

=> Free breathing

What kind of filter do you run on your 2007?

Whatever you install, your gain, IF you think you'll actually realize any (which I really doubt you will), will be so small that it'll probably take you a year or more just to hit the break even point. Besides, better fuel mileage isn't the reason we bought a Stang. But if it's really an issue, you'll do better adding 2 or 3 PSI to your tires and learn to drive granny and time lights better. THOSE gains are more substantial than trying to spend $50-$600 in order to save maybe 1-2 MPG.

I'm currently running the Steeda CAI with Brenspeed's 89 custom tune. My mileage is about equal, maybe 1 MPG less, then when I was stock. But then again, waking the car up with the custom tune was more than worth the minor change in mileage. I COULD run the 87 custom tune since it's hands down better than the stock 87 tune but the Stang's my pleasure and long distance travel ride and not my DD.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

I agree 100% with the above that you won't see any MPG or power differences from an air filter. If you want an air filter that's washable to save money in the long term over the $18 paper filters, look at the AFE Pro Dry filters. I would personally stay away from K&N. Between the poor filtering and potential problems of excess oil fouling the MAF sensor, I had a MAF sensor go bad on my truck that was directly attributed to a K&N drop in filter. Check out this site.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM
dolfinwriter

Originally Posted by 99horsey
If you want an air filter that's washable to save money in the long term over the $18 paper filters, look at the AFE Pro Dry filters.
Thanks 99Horsey--that's my other motivation--buying one $40 or $50 filter that willl last as long as I own the car rather than $20-$30 every 10k miles for a throw away.

I have a Mazda Protege 5 that I put an Injen CAI system on. I didn't measure any real MPG gain, but it did improve throttle response and it sounds great to boot when I put my foot in it.

I also have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I put a K&N Filter in and then cut a hole in the front of the stock filter box. I initially had a MAF sensor code after a few miles but then I learned that excess oil on the filter can cause that. I cleaned the MAF sensor it and it worked fine for about 90k miles. That MAF sensor just recently failed, but with nearly 100K on the truck, can it be that the filter oil made it fail "prematurely"?

I'll read that web page though. Would like to see some real testing on these things in a shop with a dyno.

Nuke, cut me some slack. I get that you know a lot about these cars and I appreciate your input, but I don't think my question warrants the hostility I sense coming from you.

I recognize you may be one the purists out there who apparently have unlimited funds, but some of us have families and mortgages, and gas prices are rising thanks to political incompetence of both the (D) and (R) variety. Worse, there are even more hard times ahead, and sooner for some of us (my wife is looking at the real possibility of getting one of more than 1,000 pink slips coming for San Diego school teachers). I'm looking for ways to KEEP MY MUSTANG, but basically hunker down and get as lean as possible until we either restore some political sanity and improve the economy here, or say to hell with it and move to another state that understands you can't just keep raising taxes and raising taxes.

Thanks all!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

...Nuke, cut me some slack. I get that you know a lot about these cars and I appreciate your input, but I don't think my question warrants the hostility I sense coming from you...
Whoa! Sorry if I came off that way. Yeah, I do have a tendency to be abrasive but it's certainly not meant the way it was received. My apologies.

To be honest, I wouldn't change from the stock filter in your case. The drop-ins do nothing for performance.

Last edited by Nuke; 03-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

can it be that the filter oil made it fail "prematurely"?
It could be - it's hard to say. I was told that MAF failures are common with oil & gauze filters (not only due to excess oil, but also lack of filtration). After some internet searching and thinking (hold up a K&N to the light and look through it compared to a paper filter), I decided it's not worth it. I didn't notice a difference performance-wise, anyway. I more or less just used K&N to avoid buying paper filters. When you think about it though, they tell you to clean a K&N after 50,000 miles and mine usually didn't even look that dirty at that point. Compare that to a paper filter in the same car and they can look filthy after 10,000 miles. If the dirt isn't trapped in the filter, where did it go?...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I only run Amsoil dry filters now...

Quick Reply: 2010 GT with Factory CAI - Best Aftermarket air filter?