Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resell Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by WhichOnesTheGas
Tanner I would even go so far to say that even those upgrades aren't guarantees and usually don't do much.

Any time you change your vehicle to something you like doesn't mean everyone else agrees. Even performance upgrades will cut your market of potential buyers, sometimes even in half or more.

90% of the time your not gonna net the X amount you spend on an upgrade with a sale of the vehicle. Atleast from my experience.

Jackin around with the electrical though is a cardinal sin in my book. Especially with things like plate flippers...etc.

Then again, it all depends on the buyers. Maybe you'll find the guy who's hobby is knocking over 7-11s.

I wrapped my 1970 Cutlass around a telephone pole and despite all the urging to just part it out, I spent the insane amount of money for a new door (same as the 442 $$$) and straightened the frame. Thinking I'll never make a buck on this car after all that, I caught interest of a local gear head who's start up company image was a yellow 1970 cutlass >shrugs<, he paid almost triple what I was asking to sell on the spot... needless to say he got the keys to a car and I got a ride home.
I agree. I think those are the only things that could possibly increase resale. If you really want to look it up OP go to kbb and look at the check boxes they have there. If your car doesn't have one of the options think about getting it. However, I think you will end up over you head in the car quickly by modding it then selling it.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

My advice? Revert to stock as best as possible, and clean/polish/wax the car. Then fix any/all small-large rattles you have when driving/with stereo up.

These things-while small-would sell me on a car because if the owner shows the capacity/diligence to keep the interior nooks and cranny's(cup holders not gross) clean then he most likely kept the mechanical parts in good shape as well. Most people dont have the knowledge to pop the hood and take a peek at your shiny fuel injectors(lol bad example)... Instead they will want to see an overall fit and finish dude.

Good luck! And hope you get a solid deal.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 03-14-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

I bought my car used last year, and the factors that convinced me to buy this one over the many other black/grey V6's with leather interiors that I looked at were:

- Fairly low miles
- No performance parts or other indicators it had been driven hard
- Very clean exterior and engine bay
- K&N Air Filter (any PO who spends $50 on an air filter takes good care, I would have felt the same way seeing any cotton filter in there)
- Completely filled out service log with dates showing regular maintenance
- Clean CarFax report

...the fact that it came with blackout covers for the tail and headlights made me smile, but didn't convince me one way or another. If the lights themselves had been smoked I'd be worried they wouldn't pass inspection.

...the fact that it had tint had me a little worried, since it was one more headache for inspection.

If I saw a GT bumper on a used V6 (and even noticed it), my first thought would be that it had been in an accident and repaired using junkyard parts.

If you're going to insist on talking about the mods, focus on how they increase reliability, and let the buyer note that they also increase speed; but better for them to discover for themselves how this sounds/feels different than the other cars they're test-driving than to limit your market to Fast & Furious wannabees.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
WhichOnesTheGas

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
My advice? Revert to stock as best as possible, and clean/polish/wax the car. Then fix any/all small-large rattles you have when driving/with stereo up.

These things-while small-would sell me on a car because if the owner shows the capacity/diligence to keep the interior nooks and cranny's(cup holders not gross) clean then he most likely kept the mechanical parts in good shape as well. Most people dont have the knowledge to pop the hood and take a peek at your shiny fuel injectors(lol bad example)... Instead they will want to see an overall fit and finish dude.

Good luck! And hope you get a solid deal.
+1

It's amazing how far a good cleaning can get you. Better even, try and get as much of the paperwork for anything you've done and compile it. oil changes, tire purchases/rotation, receipts for anything. The further back you can find documentation, the better. My friend couldn't find much, but he went online and pulled his credit card history for when he bought tires, oil changes and the installation of an aftermarket spoiler. Even if it has no real relevance (ex. receipt for a taillight bulb), people tend to get a warm fuzzy feeling when they feel like they know more about a used car. It also instills confidence that the seller is legit.

I also agree with the revert back to stock as best as possible. Middle of the road vehicles sell better then the extremes.

Just to add another personal story, I bought a used car where the owner had a portfolio in the glovebox of EVERY.SINGLE.THING. done to the vehicle. I thought it was a joke. Everything was categorized, oil changes, rotations, washes and detailing. It was amazing. He had colored page makers categorizing the owners manual as well. Made me feel like I made a good decision....
Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

How about my LED lights? Are those a plus?

And - what would convince you to buy a high mileage Mustang v6 auto? It was and is a DD
Its been kept in great condition - never driven really hard

Currently the only mods are what are in my signature, plus a CAI, and sequential tail lights if those aren't mentioned
Old 03-14-2011, 06:18 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

If you want the most money possible, sell it now.

Longer you wait, the less you will get.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I think your car is good as it sits now. Most people aren't going to notice that it has a GT front bumper, besides the fact that it will look better, than most V6s. I just wouldn't do a whole lot else to it. If you want to sell it your are just throwing your money away.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Well, I will be reverting it to stock as much as possible.

The only mods left will be the LED lights, the dual exhaust conversion, and the cold air intake
Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Keep it stock and perform regular maintenance to increase resale value.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

As stated before, most people pay jack crap for modded car unless it has a SC or blower in it. Even so, you're dumping more money into it than you will be getting out. Most people will strip the car and return to stock and sell the parts seperate to recoup whatever they can. Unfortunately v6 is a dime a dozen item and the value is only going to plummet. GT's aren't getting much love either with the 2011 and 2012's. We are losing value as time goes by.

Quick Reply: Resell Value