Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle response way to high, causes lag & gears to clank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Throttle response way to high, causes lag & gears to clank.

First off, i have a 5 speed. So this has been on ongoing problem that i have never seemed to be able to fix no matter who i take the car to. If i even hit 1/4 of the throttle my car will fly to redline, it makes it very difficult to drive smoothy. When i am cruising at low or highway speeds and i hit the gas even very very lightly, and then let off the car shakes back and forth making a clank noise like the gears or something has alot of lag in it. Every other 05+Gt Ive driven (about 3 others) have never had this problem, they are like any other car, its smooth when you let off the gas or get on the gas, all of these cars i drove also had a cold air intake and tune, and one of them had longtubes like mine. I have tried Evolution performance, brenspeed, and Bama tunes, i even got doug on the phone and told him my problem and he tried to change the tuning to lower the throttle response and it did nothing. Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

If you're in gear and you get in the throttle and it red lines it sounds like your clutch is fried.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

I dont have any problems about slipping out of gear, or the clutch not catching, it seems to be working fine. I guess i worded it wrong, i mean like if im even OUT of gear just sitting in neutral and i touch the gas like 1/4-1/2 its redlining very very fast, its def not normal for it to be so sensitive.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Does that thing have a TPS? Is it drive by wire or cable?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Mine is very sensitive cause i have a race tune. Thats the whole point, isnt it. Usually you would want to get that setting if you want the car to feel like its going to run out on you. I love mine cause i made it as aggressive as i can. I suggest you try an 87 performance or street tune cause it sounds like you're using a tune that is too aggressive given your preferences "Race Tune". If that is that case, then give the other tunes a try. Does any of this make sense ?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried recalibrating the throttle?

Turn the car to "on" but don't start it. Wait about 10-15 seconds for all of the system checks and warning lights to go off, then very very slowly push the throttle pedal to the floor, and very very slowly release it. Then turn off the car, start her up, and give it a try.

The procedure is in the owner's manual, as well.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I did this procedure on mine and made it even slightly more aggressive. This might make more of a problem for our friend with the sensitive throttle.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Sounds like maybe your gas pedal module (or whatever it's officially called) has gone bad ? These cars don't have a throttle cable, the gas pedal controls a potentiometer (variable resistor) and that tells the computer your gas pedal position, which ultimately controls the amount of throttle body opening, injector pulsewidth, etc etc. Point is if that thing is bad it would cause weird throttle response regardless of the tune that is loaded, so maybe it is your prob.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I also am thinking the throttle rheostat (SilverHoss called it a "gas pedal module" so it seems we're both reaching for straws...) or whatever the component is that changes the pedal position to a signal for the PCM. If the guys that write the tune can't fix it with software, then I have to assume it's hardware.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

SilverHoss and Nuke, i will check into that asap, i havent heard either of those responses yet and i had just started to think about something like that being it.
Could it be something like this? I did buy the car preowned bone stock so i dont think previous owner would have done it, but maybe its just like a defect in the throttle. https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-must-see.html
Most of the other stuff that was mentioned i have tried.

Quick Reply: Throttle response way to high, causes lag & gears to clank.