Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a GT In Snow/Slush

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Some corners I KNOW I will have to fish-tail through and I can prepare for it, but the scary ones where I just get that heart sinking jolt from an unexpected break in traction and Im like "oh ****, I'm not brian oconner!" is the worst and wears on your confidence IMO

But I got snow tires after a 60mph 40ft drift on the highway I did with a state trooper RIGHT behind me, we both hit the ice at the same time and I powered through (being a cocky mustang owner lol) and the cop braked and flew into the sidewall while I ended up pulling over to change my underwear.

Its fun sometimes, but lets face it: we ALL have to get somewhere important most of the time (work, meeting, class exam) and in those brutal "work stress" filled mornings the last thing I need is a lesson in tokyo drifting the I-69 merge ramps.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 04-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Topless89GT
1st Gear Member

Exactly why I moved to Florida.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Ya I bought a 97 Explorer for 4k because even with snow tires I live on a hill and was always afraid I would slide down it or not be able to get up it. The Explorer is now a POS and I've only owned it for 2 months, gonna have to come up with a winter plan.
That sucks. I have an 01 explorer sport and no major problems at all. Buddy of mine (he's a ricer so his everyday car is a sissymobile I tell him!!) had an 01 explorer sport as well and it was great. Until his wife decided to pull in front of an Escalade that is.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 AM
MustangFTW

i drove my 67 coupe in a MN winter everyday without snow tires, you get used to taking it real easy on the gas. Snow tires make a world of difference for RWD cars i would suggest getting some if it snows alot where you live.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 PM
OCLandspeeder
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I feel a bit better now especially after seeing those Youtube videos. Thankfully, that snow storm was a once in a lifetime event where I live.

This is not my first time driving in snow myself. But all my snow driving experience has been either in an SUV with 4WD or a FWD car. I think if I lived in a hilly area with regular snowfall, there is no doubt I would park my 'Stang during the winter then have a beater 4WD/AWD type vehicle like a Subaru or small SUV. I think my 'Stang's traction control and Limited Slip allowed me to make it home and park inside my warm garage!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Edit - snow in SoCal???

Norm
Yes, Global Warming.
Get used to it!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yeah, climate change is dramatic. We had a "blizzard" here in MS this past winter; why, you almost couldn't see the grass (southerners that aren't used to what real snow is are clueless). Quoting the gal doing the live news report from the field "It's really piling up here!" We received ~1/2" of snow/sleet.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Yeah, climate change is dramatic. We had a "blizzard" here in MS this past winter; why, you almost couldn't see the grass (southerners that aren't used to what real snow is are clueless). Quoting the gal doing the live news report from the field "It's really piling up here!" We received ~1/2" of snow/sleet.
rofl...that's funny. We had that through the morning here in Denver and by the afternoon, it was all gone. One of the wusses I work with had the audacity to call in late saying the school was a late start due to weather. REALLY? He was lying of course.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That's nothing.

When I was in western Kentucky a few years back, they were calling for 3-5" of snow. Being from the north, that's nothing but a nuisance snow and I don't even kick the SUV into 4WD for that 1/2 the time. I headed to the supermarket only because I was out of dog food. It was packed and news crews were on hand. There was a Red Cross table set-up just inside and I figured they were having a blood drive. I walked over to the geezer and asked "Where do I sign up?" He said "Oh, no! This is for the DISASTER!" and handed me a paper listing the things I needed to buy to survive. I was speechless and hysterical. Afterwards, on the news they were preparing to call out the National Guard to "assist".
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah I give you all props for driving around in snow with the Mustang. People in Phoenix have a hard enough time trying to drive in rain with RWD vehicles.

I think you all would get a good laugh out of seeing some of the drivers here.....either that or you would get very angry cause they all drive so sssssslllllloooooowwwwwwww.

Quick Reply: Driving a GT In Snow/Slush