Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those who have built 4.6's... A little help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Default To those who have built 4.6's... A little help

So heres the deal. Im one month into my second deployment. Wife already gave to go ahead to spend a **** load of money on the stang. Im looking for a ball park of what i need to start looking for parts wise, and a general idea of cost of labor. Currently im running a vortech v3 non intercooled kit. Dyno tuned to 470whp (then down tuned to 440) by Fastlane Motorsports in NC. I plan on picking up the brenspeed B302, eather the Paxton air to air, or the vortech air to air, brenspeeds detroit rockers for supercharged aplications. And i am looking at pully swaps. I realy want to run between 16-18lbs of boost or what ever i need to get to high 5's low 600's. Any feedback or sujestions welcome, especialy those who have already built up. I want to start listing what i need for supporting mods. probably 60lb injectors, ditch the kb boost a pump and go gt500 or simular. Other then that i have no clue. i know im just about maxing my MAF, but i want to convert to blow thru and dump boost into the atmosphere. Any sujestions?

Last edited by chris09; 04-10-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris09
So heres the deal. Im one month into my second deployment. Wife already gave to go ahead to spend a **** load of money on the stang. Im looking for a ball park of what i need to start looking for parts wise, and a general idea of cost of labor. Currently im running a vortech v3 non intercooled kit. Dyno tuned to 470whp (then down tuned to 440) by Fastlane Motorsports in NC. I plan on picking up the brenspeed B302, eather the Paxton air to air, or the vortech air to air, brenspeeds detroit rockers for supercharged aplications. And i am looking at pully swaps. I realy want to run between 16-18lbs of boost or what ever i need to get to high 5's low 600's. Any feedback or sujestions welcome, especialy those who have already built up. I want to start listing what i need for supporting mods. probably 60lb injectors, ditch the kb boost a pump and go gt500 or simular. Other then that i have no clue. i know im just about maxing my MAF, but i want to convert to blow thru and dump boost into the atmosphere. Any sujestions?
Water to air (instead of air/air)
KB Dual BAP and gt500 pumps
60# injectors
Clutch or convertor
Regular suspension mods
A very good tuner
boost gauge
wideband
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Well i already have some suspension mods. I do need some lca's though. I got a great tuner, and am running wideband an boost gauges already. so i need a fuel pump, injectors, and a clutch. got it. but i prefer air to air. simpler instal and no water to cook.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

damn, you're running 470whp on a NON-intercooled V3?? You must have an awesome tuner because that's about 100 more whp than your average V3 non-intercooled lulz

The V3 will only support up to 550whp, the Paxton 2200 H.O. can make the numbers you're looking to make.

I believe the air to air intercoolers can handle up to 800whp..
Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

No offense intended, but...

I've never understood why people put all this money into a 4.6L car, and not go straight to the Shelby. You have to spend all of this money to achieve 600 HP, and it's still not as reliable as the 5.4L is at 700 rwhp.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 04-11-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
damn, you're running 470whp on a NON-intercooled V3?? You must have an awesome tuner because that's about 100 more whp than your average V3 non-intercooled lulz

The V3 will only support up to 550whp, the Paxton 2200 H.O. can make the numbers you're looking to make.

I believe the air to air intercoolers can handle up to 800whp..
yes made 470 but had him down tune to 440. and acording to vortechs site, the v3 is good to 775hp, and 20-22lbs of boost. i gained about 150whp at 8-9lbs of boost. i think at about 18lbs i should be making some good numbers.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast

I've never understood why people put all this money into a 4.6L car, and not go straight to the Shelby. You have to spend all of this money to achieve 600 HP, and it's still not as reliable as the 5.4L is at 700 rwhp.
none taken. i dont see how i will be less reliable if built right. plus when i got this car new, SEP 11 2008, i could afford it as an E-4 in germany. I got it as a platform to build off of as money became available. 29,000 out the door, put 20 down, paing 170 a month. im very happy with it thank you very much. and why have a heavy (by a small amount) iron 5.4 when i can have a fully built aluminum 5.0?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Well i already have some suspension mods. I do need some lca's though. I got a great tuner, and am running wideband an boost gauges already. so i need a fuel pump, injectors, and a clutch. got it. but i prefer air to air. simpler instal and no water to cook.
You will be able to make good power on the dyno with any intercooler. But being able to repeat the power is more important. At the power level you want and even higher PSI, you will suffer from high IATs and then suffer even more power loss when your computer pulls timing.

Yes air/air is easier, but air/water tends to do a better job.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

yes made 470 but had him down tune to 440. and acording to vortechs site, the v3 is good to 775hp, and 20-22lbs of boost. i gained about 150whp at 8-9lbs of boost. i think at about 18lbs i should be making some good numbers.
Damn, I think the highest V3 non-intercooled set up I read about was 450whp. That's a lot of hot air, surprised it doesn't wipe out the head gaskets lulz jk 18 lbs of boost would be a great set up with a built motor/supporting fuel mods. I am installing the intercooler/H.O. kit as soon as it gets warmer out. Nothing crazy, just 10 psi..

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast

For me personally; bad record, 1 suspension (5 years) and decent credit.. I'd have to live in it lulz Won't mention insurance lulz

It'll be as reliable as how you build it, plus the tune.

Originally Posted by Simon1
You will be able to make good power on the dyno with any intercooler. But being able to repeat the power is more important. At the power level you want and even higher PSI, you will suffer from high IATs and then suffer even more power loss when your computer pulls timing.

Yes air/air is easier, but air/water tends to do a better job.

Good luck.
Ditto on the air/water. No more complex than your everyday AC system.. actually, much simpler. If I didn't have to take mine off every winter, I'd opt for the air/water myself. Way more consistent.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

well heres what i found just looking aroung.

".••We are used to seeing triple-digit air-charge temperatures when we are dealing with force-induction applications. Not so with Vortech's air-to-air intercooler in
place. This baby is really efficient at taking heat out of boost. It measures 24x13x3.5 inches and features 3-inch inlet and outlet tubes, and Vortech says it is capable
of supporting up to 900 hp. In our testing this intercooler tamed the boost so that blower discharge temps were only 15-19 degrees higher than the ambient temperatures
in the dyno room. That is crazy efficient on a stationary car. Imagine how well it does rolling down the road."
taken from a pdf file i found in an older 5.0 mag http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...-12.09-5.0.pdf

im still thinking air to air....but thats just me.

Quick Reply: To those who have built 4.6's... A little help