Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 GT running on 87 gas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
brazeagle
1st Gear Member

QUESTION PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT.

I had a 87 OCT tune from SCT and STEEDA cold air intake. Great difference between STOCK and the above.

I purchased a 93 SCT tune and installed, NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL from the 87 OCT on the 5.0 GT 2011. WHY, is it normal on the 5.0 not to be noticeable at normal driving?

Also I wonder, I am back to 87 OCT SCT tune, should I continue using 93 OCTANE gas or go back to 87 or 89 octane gasoline?

Thank you in advance for your inputs.
Stay safe out there,
brazeagle
Old 04-20-2011, 03:43 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by brazeagle
Just want to thank you VERY MUCH for posting, it really helps us out there to make educated decisions.

Thank you FORD, thank you Deysha.
Safe driving
brazeagle
Thank you very much for welcoming me with such kind words brazeagle! I'm here to help where I can.

Deysha
Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I had a 87 OCT tune from SCT and STEEDA cold air intake. Great difference between STOCK and the above.

I purchased a 93 SCT tune and installed, NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL from the 87 OCT on the 5.0 GT 2011. WHY, is it normal on the 5.0 not to be noticeable at normal driving?

Also I wonder, I am back to 87 OCT SCT tune, should I continue using 93 OCTANE gas or go back to 87 or 89 octane gasoline?

Stay safe out there,
brazeagle
Whose tunes did you buy? If they were the canned SCT tunes then I could see where you might not notice a difference. The BAMA and Brenspeed tunes have been perfected for the 5.0 compared to the canned SCT tunes.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM
brazeagle
1st Gear Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nuke
Whose tunes did you buy? If they were the canned SCT tunes then I could see where you might not notice a difference. The BAMA and Brenspeed tunes have been perfected for the 5.0 compared to the canned SCT tunes.
Thanks for the reply,
the tunes are directly from STEEDA, the SCT ships out the SCT X3 tuner, where STEEDA upload the customized tune for the specific PCM box of you serial number GT 5.0. in another words, it is not the preset one from SCT.

By experience, do you think I should go back to 93 tune and use 93 oct gas to the 87 tune and 87 gas? would that be a better choice, even though I do not feel any difference in performance?

Thanks,
brazeagle
Old 04-20-2011, 05:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Actually, Steeda only needed the ECU code to make sure the SCT flash tuner can access it correctly. The tunes they load into the hand held SCT unit could still just be canned tunes, not specific tunes with all the nice adjusted tables that are not in canned tunes.

The best thing to do to find out for sure is to call Steeda and ask if this is the case for your 93 octane tune.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM
brazeagle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Actually, Steeda only needed the ECU code to make sure the SCT flash tuner can access it correctly. The tunes they load into the hand held SCT unit could still just be canned tunes, not specific tunes with all the nice adjusted tables that are not in canned tunes.

The best thing to do to find out for sure is to call Steeda and ask if this is the case for your 93 octane tune.
Thank you again,
I will call them AGAIN and AGAIN and will request that information.

Best regards,
brazeagle
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Stay safe out there,
brazeagle
You should not really notice a difference during normal driving. The difference between the 87 and 93 tune is going to be 8 to 10hp peak and that is at wide open throttle.

Torque picks up a bit too but during "normal" driving you not at wide open throttle and you are not asking for that extra torque and horsepower out of the car so you should not feel a difference, the difference in power that is there at wide open would be hard to feel for most people as well.

With these cars and their drive by wire systems a lot of the difference people feel between 2 aftermarket tunes has little to do with power, but how the response of the drive by wire system is programmed.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 AM
brazeagle
1st Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
You should not really notice a difference during normal driving. The difference between the 87 and 93 tune is going to be 8 to 10hp peak and that is at wide open throttle.

Torque picks up a bit too but during "normal" driving you not at wide open throttle and you are not asking for that extra torque and horsepower out of the car so you should not feel a difference, the difference in power that is there at wide open would be hard to feel for most people as well.

With these cars and their drive by wire systems a lot of the difference people feel between 2 aftermarket tunes has little to do with power, but how the response of the drive by wire system is programmed.
Thank you Gus,
Question about STEEDA custom tuning with SCT 3000:
Does STEEDA custom tune the SCT specifically for the car you order the tune (like changing all the tables in the programing) or it only adds to the canned SCT tune.

Appreciate your response.
brazeagle
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Thank you Gus,
Question about STEEDA custom tuning with SCT 3000:
Does STEEDA custom tune the SCT specifically for the car you order the tune (like changing all the tables in the programing) or it only adds to the canned SCT tune.

Appreciate your response.
brazeagle
A 3000 is a blank tuner, so we would have to custom tune it before it leaves otherwise you would not be able to program the car. Only 3015's come with "canned" tunes plus the ability to hold 3 custom tunes.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Do the new 2012 Mustang Gts have the throttle lag like the 07's did? Would a custome tune get rid of this if they do have it?
Thanks.

Also what kind of gas mileage are you guys with 2012 or 2011 GTs getting?

Quick Reply: 2012 GT running on 87 gas.