Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it ok to drive without a passenger seat??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default is it ok to drive without a passenger seat??

I have some roush leathers to install but im short on time because of school. The rears are done (very easy to do) and id like to start on the fronts but i need my car to remain driveable. If i take my passenger seat out will i have any problems (electrical/airbag?)

Also what would be the procedure? disconnect battery, wait 15 minutes+, remove seat, reconnect battery?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:35 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

If i remember correctly there are four bolts holding the seats in and then underneath the middle of the seats there is bracket that connects the seats wires to the airbags/seat movement power. This just unclips and then you can take the seat out. I had mine out in like two minutes
Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I don't see how it could hurt? I would disconnect the battery because you're messing with electrical components then go to town on taking apart the electrical connections under the seat and remove the seat altogether like you described.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:57 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you disconnect the air bag and your dash light comes on because of that, you might have to take it to the dealer to clear the code.
They charge $75 for that, just remember that.

And yes about your battery procedure...
Old 04-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
If you disconnect the air bag and your dash light comes on because of that, you might have to take it to the dealer to clear the code.
They charge $75 for that, just remember that.

And yes about your battery procedure...
Actually i have had my airbag light flashing some already so i might as well do it now i suppose. I looked into the flashing before (it was a constant number of flashes followed by a solid light then repeating) but it didnt turn up much.
I plan on taking it to the dealer sometime after i finish this semester anyways.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:44 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Yep pretty much what they said. Disconnect the battery and pull the seat out as stated. I had mine out for a few weeks and didn't have any problems. Don't remember if i got a airbag light though. I'm sure if i did i might have just cleared it with my SCT.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Got it out with not problems but it seems im slightly retarded. The seat covers i bought are for seats with side air bags. I dont have side air bags... I guess i just assumed i did and falsely remembered seeing the side air bag tag on the seats (we have them on just about every other car). I suppose it would have been better had i actually checked, but when i bought them i was away from my car.
So now i have to find something to fill the spot that the airbag normally goes.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Got it out with not problems but it seems im slightly retarded. The seat covers i bought are for seats with side air bags. I dont have side air bags... I guess i just assumed i did and falsely remembered seeing the side air bag tag on the seats (we have them on just about every other car). I suppose it would have been better had i actually checked, but when i bought them i was away from my car.
Look at it this way. You now have a great little place to stash stuff you don't want anyone to find in. I know what I would do if I had this opportunity....

Last edited by MustangFirstCar; 04-23-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Look at it this way. You now have a great little place to stash stuff you don't want anyone to find in. I know what I would do if I had this opportunity....
If i had something worth lots of money to transport perhaps, but it is quite a pain to pull the covers back off to access the spot. Hog rings arent fun. Ive got some quilting stuff im going to pack tightly in there and just tape over with some duct tape. Sounds pretty red neck but its all inside the seat so it should never even be noticed once i fill the void.

I just kinda feel like an idiot for not knowing i didnt have side air bags. Just one of this things i always thought i had and i could picture the side air bag tag perfectly in my head, wrong car a guess.
Thanks for the help guys, the seat is out and the bottom is done, my dad is gonna help my finish the backrest before going back to school tomorrow. Then 2 weekends later ill do the driver side i guess.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Go to home depot and get a piece of foam.
Them shape it up with an electric knife.
A littler bit of glue and voila.

Quick Reply: is it ok to drive without a passenger seat??