Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tci Rachet shifter install help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
..To be honest with you I very rarely use the damn thing except to downshift to 3rd entering a turn and pop it back into D on exit. I learned quick that the good old computer is a better shifter than me at wot, I kept hitting the limiter when I tried to manually shift...lol.
Good luck with her bro!
Congrats on the TCI shifter 808

You actually have to anticipate a shift, and short shift rather than shifting at redline and popping it into the next gear or worse.. it'll hold the rpm and either slip real hard/not grab or grab very abruptly.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Congrats on the TCI shifter 808

You actually have to anticipate a shift
Ya got that right brother...lol. Seems like it takes forever for the thing to actually shift, so again I just went the route of putting it in D and mashing the petal to the floor...it works for me
Got it for looks more than anything else, and that fugly stock shifter had to goooooooo!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

I LOVE driving my manual, but damn that makes me wish I had an auto Looks great
Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Ya got that right brother...lol. Seems like it takes forever for the thing to actually shift, so again I just went the route of putting it in D and mashing the petal to the floor...it works for me
Got it for looks more than anything else, and that fugly stock shifter had to goooooooo!

Not my intention to thread jack but Mayo, how exactly did you customize that setup? I will eventually be getting this setup and love the way that looks so I'm just curious.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the install, its on my x-mas list
Old 04-26-2011, 02:24 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

8 ball looks cool. I actually like the feel off the new handle. My right hand rests on it just perfect. In reality I prolly wont shift it much, certainly not at full throttle. This trans shifts so fast from 2 to 3 to 4, why bother. I will just use it now and then. Only bought it cause FiveOh Brian needed to get rid of it. Actually was brand new, never been installed. I really love how it lights up too. So much better than the stocker and the actual detents feel so much smoother. Its a first rate product and worth every penny.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Not my intention to thread jack but Mayo, how exactly did you customize that setup? I will eventually be getting this setup and love the way that looks so I'm just curious.
The 8 ball actually came from my local Autozone and is a universal ****. I then went to lowes and purchased a nylon washer/spacer in the hardware dept that had the same dia as the opening on the bottom of the ****, i'm wanting to say it was about 3/4 thick as well. The hole in the middle of the nylon spacer needed to be drilled out until I could get the spacer to self thread itself onto the tci threads. Screw the spacer all the way to the bottom of the shifter until tight and pop on the ****, tighten it down to the nylon with the 3 screws from the **** and boom. Cool part about this mod is you can then use any universal **** with the spacer. It's a total jerry rig, but I have had it installed for about 6 months with no problems. Get you some pics if you need them bro, just pm me.
Sorry for the jack 808, and yea the stock handle does feel good but damn it gets cold in the winter

Pic of my two favorite shifter **** buddies
Old 04-27-2011, 01:42 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

No jack worries Mayo! LOL Cold isnt a problem I have here. After driving the car more its amazing how nice this shifter is. The detents are so precise and how it lights up looks so good. Its a huge upgrade over the stock plastic piece of crap. I almost didnt buy this car when I was car shopping cause I was so turned off with the crappy plastic shifter.