Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lets do something about the wait

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: lets do something about the wait

The only bad thing about taking orders as come in is that what if all the commodities are not available or unknown availablility at that time? Say you ordered the IUP. We all know that is a hot commodity and they run short. Do they stop the production line until they recieve more or do they pass up the order and wait until it arrives? It is more than just placing an order, it more of the scheduling of commodities. I am not defending any car maker as I already went through what you are going through now.

Plus, whatever happened to the "Turn and Earn" aspect? If a dealer sold one unit they earn to get another to replace that one. Would that be more fair? I think the priority system needs to be overhauled because it is not fair to everyone, especially for the smaller dealers with a small customer base in their area.

This is one aspect of business that is very touchy for the companies involved and for the customer because someone is going to think it is not fair. I have always thought that orders should be filled based on the date and time it was submitted into the system. But when I learned about the commoidity issue I knew that would not work.

So my theory is:

1. Take the order according to the date and time stamp.
2. If it is a sold retail order (customer order), place in one bucket.
3. If it is a stock order (lot inventory), place in another bucket.
4. Check the commodities for availability.
5. Schedule the retail order first then the stock order once the retail order is exhausted.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 PM
old tsteffes
I ♥ Acer

<UNCOMFIRMED RUMOR MODE>
I don't know if this is exactly on topic for this thread, but I just dropped off my baby at the dealer to correct my shoddy alarm install and I spoke to my salesmen. He said that it appears the 06's are coming in faster than the 05's did. With that said, he then pointed to a beautiful black 05 GT that was ready for delivery that was ORDERED IN OCTOBER!
</UNCOMFIRMED RUMOR MODE>
Old 08-30-2005, 02:28 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

When they first started building the 05's, they were in a brand new facility. They had a learning curve to overcome and to get production out. They also build the Mazda MX-6 on the same assembly line. They were building the 05's at about 500 per shift. Since then, Ford has upped the production to 600 per shift. So I guess yes, they are coming faster than they did in 05.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:32 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: 05BlueGT

I have been complaining for the past year about this but unfortunately it is going to fall on deaf ears. You can write all you want but will the big guys listen? I bet not. They know everything there is to know about the ordering process. That is at least what the big guys says. In my home based computer business, I take orders as I recieve them, sure it is not as big as Ford is but that is the way I do business. When you have such a hot product such as this car and the assembly line is equiped to produce so many cars for the year, it is going to be difficult to satisfy everyone. There are also suppliers that has to keep up the demand and they are taking the orders from Ford. If the suppliers can't keep up, then the customers will have to wait.

This discussion can go on forever and it doesn't matter where you are waiting for your car. There are politics in every aspect of business and this is no exception. That is why the little dealer will never be able to get their orders through as fast as the larger dealers.

For everyone waiting, good luck and the wait is really worth it. I promise you that, just be patient and search your local dealer lots often.
Please not this is purely sarcasm!

This coming from the guy who has TWO Gt's [8D]
Old 08-30-2005, 06:00 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

I have been complaining for the past year about this but unfortunately it is going to fall on deaf ears. You can write all you want but will the big guys listen? I bet not. They know everything there is to know about the ordering process. That is at least what the big guys says. In my home based computer business, I take orders as I recieve them, sure it is not as big as Ford is but that is the way I do business. When you have such a hot product such as this car and the assembly line is equiped to produce so many cars for the year, it is going to be difficult to satisfy everyone. There are also suppliers that has to keep up the demand and they are taking the orders from Ford. If the suppliers can't keep up, then the customers will have to wait.

This discussion can go on forever and it doesn't matter where you are waiting for your car. There are politics in every aspect of business and this is no exception. That is why the little dealer will never be able to get their orders through as fast as the larger dealers.

For everyone waiting, good luck and the wait is really worth it. I promise you that, just be patient and search your local dealer lots often.
Please not this is purely sarcasm!

This coming from the guy who has TWO Gt's [8D]
I may have 2 GT's but it was not without wondering and waiting that I had to go through. I got my first one 6 months into waiting by pure accident. Right after that, the one I really wanted got a VIN assigned and delivered 2 months later. So, from the time I ordered to the delivery, it was 2 days shy of 8 months.

This is not sarcasm and if someone wants some help with the ordering process, I am more than willing to help. I have learned alot from people at Blue Oval Forums to help understand the process from all that waiting I had to do.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:30 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

The only bad thing about taking orders as come in is that what if all the commodities are not available or unknown availablility at that time?
So my theory is:
1. Take the order according to the date and time stamp.
2. If it is a sold retail order (customer order), place in one bucket.
3. If it is a stock order (lot inventory), place in another bucket.
4. Check the commodities for availability.
5. Schedule the retail order first then the stock order once the retail order is exhausted.
as I see it a car getting assigned a VIN just gets it in line- they arent BUILT in order, nor will they ever be- Ive seen vin'd cars held up for low on hand items in another forum...I dont think they even look at options when pulling vins. my bitch is that if two guys order the same exact car, one up north in june, one down south in september, the guy down south will likely still get vin'd first- once its vin'd its in the build list, and will be scheduled for assembly when ford sees the parts should be arriving. Building is one thing- cutting in line for build is whats not right.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:45 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Ford4v429

I don't think letters are going to work, but I'm up for anything that will get this whole messed up process moving along. I am 6+ months since my original 05 order.

It sucks to see all these 06s coming through and I still don't have a build date for the 06, and I ordered June 1.

I don't think there is anything we can do, but sit back wait and complain. But if you figure something out, I'm right with ya!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Lawman165
1st Gear Member

This has nothing to do with ordering but there are no less than 30 GT's on the ground in the Houston area waiting for new owners. Im trying to hold off till my truck is paid for in 5 months but knowing my torch red 5spd is sitting on a lot is driving me nuts.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lawman165

This has nothing to do with ordering but there are no less than 30 GT's on the ground in the Houston area waiting for new owners. Im trying to hold off till my truck is paid for in 5 months but knowing my torch red 5spd is sitting on a lot is driving me nuts.
5 months huh?

saw other thread you were picking her up today- congrats!

30 in Huston, maybe 30 between Ohio and Pa total...this is whats so troubling to us in the north- our dealers cannot even get one 'sold order' they have allocated vin'd for months, yet southern dealers are placing 'sold orders' today that will get vin'd tomorrow... yet they still have unsold units on the lot. The more guys cancel and buy from the south, the more allocations leverage the southern dealers get next year(even though currently they get ALMOST all anyway). 'Sold orders' should be vin'd based on date only- cutting in line priveledge is just BAD business for ford.
I realize the dealer is fords 'customer' in the dealers eyes, but truth be told its the working guys like you and me that are the customer. Whose name is on the original title??? not the dealer- they are just the middleman. high allocation aint because they are the greatest guys in the world to buy from- its simply they live in highly populated areas that dont have salt/snow on the ground several months of the year. Sadly the absolute best customer oriented, bargain giving, awesome service department, whatever will still be required to allow the big guys to cut in line all year, in any way they want to- they dont even need to ask, ford just does it for them.
It sure would make for a better buying experience if all were on equal footing priority wise- sure allocation is probably best way to fill a lot, but if they cant sell stock of a high demand product, next month it should be diverted to someone without any- just to get them on the lots for more people to see. the more people see, the more they will order-especially if theres not many around- if orders accepted /vin'd by date, buyer knows he will get the car he wants next time that configuration rolls down the line.
instead currently NO GTs are on the lots up north drawing buyers, and buyers that want the car without even seeing it can order one, put a deposit and wait in a helpless situation, and all you get from ford is: "as of(months after ordering) your vehicle shows clean and unscheduled- it has not been serialized at this time" from the robot lady(BTW, she got a new voice 2 days ago- how friggin exciting- at least something changed...).
Oh yeah- this makes the customer soo happy with the dealer, and we all are very understanding as to the logical way the system works- yeah right...

"back of the VIN line buddy- a guy in Miami just ordered your car..."

allocation priority on sold orders- it works pretty well dont it.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:07 AM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

I really am frustrated, as i ordered an 06 5speed manual GT with TWO options, a shaker 500 and locking lug nuts, on 6/22. Nothing yet! Then i go and check out the southern dealers inventory on Fords' web sight, and get VERY P. O. 'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: lets do something about the wait