Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT vs Camaro SS (buyer's remorse?) need help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:57 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin
funny thing is u saved 6-7k on a 2010 then want more power and have to spend 6-7k to get to 5.0 levels, and u still don't have a 6spd. should have just worked a good deal on the 11.... But like any car once u drive it for a month your used to the power and dynamics of the car and u want more. its never ending. And there will always be someone with more powerful car out there.
I'm a 2010 owner so maybe a little biased ...

but I don't understand the purpose of a 6-speed transmission... People like to shift more than necessary? I suppose it serves it's purpose if you are road racing ... but people have been perfectly happy with 5-speed cars for the last 25 years. I have a 6-speed tranny in my Jeep Wrangler ... All it does is make me take an extra shift to get into OD on the highway ...

For $6K to $7K you can make a 4.6 car much faster than a N/A 5.0 to that statement is not accurate.

Would I have a 5.0 if they were available in Sunset Gold ?? Yes I would. My goal was to get a Sunset Gold GT ... so it would have been nice to get the 5.0 but I don't miss it at all now that I'm supercharged ... and it cost me $5700 for the Saleen SuperShaker.

The bonus with the 2010 last Spring was 0% financing ... so the savings in interest is paying for a big chunk of my SuperCharger. Now that 2011's have 0% financing ... those cars are an awesome deal right now!

Last edited by dmhines; 05-18-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
but I don't understand the purpose of a 6-speed transmission... People like to shift more than necessary? I suppose it serves it's purpose if you are road racing ... but people have been perfectly happy with 5-speed cars for the last 25 years. I have a 6-speed tranny in my Jeep Wrangler ... All it does is make me take an extra shift to get into OD on the highway ...
I have one car with a 6-speed, four cars with 5's, owned a couple with 4, and learned to drive on 3-speed. I honestly don't notice how many shifts (up and down) that I make any more. It's entirely a matter of putting the tranny to make the car behave the way I want it to at that particular instant. Road speed, desired performance, amount of other traffic, anticipating situational changes, and more all go into these decisions pretty much subconsciously.

But since you've piqued my curiosity a bit, I just mentally "drove" myself to work a couple of times. I live about 5 miles from work, shift about 30 times on the way in (very light traffic @ 6:15 AM) and about double that going home in the afternon. Even if I was to fortunately hit all of the traffic lights green and the only intermediate stop I needed to make was at the end of my development street, I'd still shift at least 15 times in the AM for a trip of what would then be about eight minutes duration.

There isn't a single up- or down shift that I don't find natural to be doing, though there are times when I wish the jump from 4 to 5 in my V8 cars wasn't quite as wide.

As another data point, as far as my Dad (now age 90) is concerned, even four forward gears is more than necessary - last time he drove one of my 4-speed cars, he never used 3rd.

The usefulness of the number of gears in the tranny depends partly on their spacing from each other, the kind of use that you put the car to, engine torque relative to car weight, and the sort of driver that you are as an individual.

Don't underestimate that last point - some drivers are more attuned to what the engine is doing most of the time than others, and a wide gear spacing will feel a little "wrong" under certain conditions. Like where the higher of two gears is a little too tall (response is "soft") and the lower one needs more revs than you really want to be using.

Basically, more gears lets you have either or both of the following

a wider range between 1st and whatever is top for a better speed range between a 1st gear that's low enough to get underway easily - without pushing the revs excessively high for highway cruising

closer gear spacing for smaller rev drops or easier rev-matching between gears

Maybe I'm assuming too much, but I would expect that your Jeep's 1st gear might be more of a "granny gear" that you may not need in normal pavement driving.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Norm

I think you hit the perverbial nail on the head. I learned on a three speed column, owned many four-speeds and five-speeds (Fiats and Hondas). My last car was a 6-speed Acura RSX-S.

My '10 Mustang has a big hole between fourth and fifth. I like the 1 through 4 spacing, 5th could be closer to 4th (or slightly less than 1:1) making it a great highway gear and 6th (taller than 1:1) would serve as a highway overdrive. Drop one gear from 6th for a smooth lane change, two to make some noise and three to leave that 'Maro in your rearview!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Blizzard, your car looks great. These cars look so good in white.

Anyway, as to the original topic: When I ordered mine in 2009, I toyed with the idea of ordering a Camaro for about a half of a day. I realized I would be settling on the looks just to have the 426 hp motor. In the end I decided to order my 2010 GT. (back then the 5.0 was just a rumor and speculation, albeit there was pretty strong evidence that it was going to happen)

No regrets whatsoever. I REALLY wanted the 2010+ body style. Ford nailed it, IMO. Enjoy the car!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:00 PM
StreetGhost
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
Blizzard, your car looks great. These cars look so good in white.

Anyway, as to the original topic: When I ordered mine in 2009, I toyed with the idea of ordering a Camaro for about a half of a day. I realized I would be settling on the looks just to have the 426 hp motor. In the end I decided to order my 2010 GT. (back then the 5.0 was just a rumor and speculation, albeit there was pretty strong evidence that it was going to happen)

No regrets whatsoever. I REALLY wanted the 2010+ body style. Ford nailed it, IMO. Enjoy the car!
You are exactly RIGHT!! I love the Mustang and wouldn't trade it...There is always going to be a faster, better model/car out there. If I got the '11 then I would probably wonder why I didn't step up a little and get the 2010 GT500 that was sitting right next to it or the 2011 GT with a Roush Supercharger on it that was only about $8k more...see I can already see myself and what I would be doing if I had gotten the '11...

The 2010 is a great car and has a great engine in it...a proven engine.

I am confident that I can beat the Camaro SS vert in the 1/4 mile and i KNOW I can beat it in looks. And, the best part...I put someone in the my buddy's camaro and then they got into my car and it was a LANDSLIDE...The Mustang interior killed the Camaro's interior.

These cars are just awesome...

Oh and good news...I am going to order the CAI/Tuner next week!!! Can't wait to feel the car wake up a little more!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Blizzard2010
You are exactly RIGHT!! I love the Mustang and wouldn't trade it...There is always going to be a faster, better model/car out there. If I got the '11 then I would probably wonder why I didn't step up a little and get the 2010 GT500 that was sitting right next to it or the 2011 GT with a Roush Supercharger on it that was only about $8k more...see I can already see myself and what I would be doing if I had gotten the '11...

The 2010 is a great car and has a great engine in it...a proven engine.

I am confident that I can beat the Camaro SS vert in the 1/4 mile and i KNOW I can beat it in looks. And, the best part...I put someone in the my buddy's camaro and then they got into my car and it was a LANDSLIDE...The Mustang interior killed the Camaro's interior.

These cars are just awesome...

Oh and good news...I am going to order the CAI/Tuner next week!!! Can't wait to feel the car wake up a little more!
Hi Blizzard2010,

I am so glad your buyers' remorse has been relieved by the awesomeness of the Mustang! With your fantastic deal and interest rate on the 2010 4.6L you can be reassured you made a great choice! Now go whip that 'Stang around in its full glory!

~Natasha