Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groaning noise coming from the suspension

Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

I went to the dealer this afternoon for service and they said it was a bad control arm. The control arm squeaks when you go over a bump. They ordered the part for me and is going to call me when it arrives
Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 AM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Have you considered the possibility of a ghost?
Old 05-20-2011, 02:22 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by rogan01
The TSB does not seem to be for the problem described by the OP. It is a "groaning/creaking suspension type noise" heard when going slowly over speed bumps. Not a whine as in the TSB. Haven't seen a TSB for this for 2011-2012.

I have had the same problem on my new 2011 GT. It only happens when going over speed bumps so I just live with it until I can take time off work to take it to the dealer to have it checked out (much as I hate to). I don't think it is normal and will probably not go away. Seems to come mostly from the passenger front.

I would be really interested in knowing if anyone had actually taken the car to the dealer for this and what was done.
Hi rogan01,

I understand how difficult finding the time to have your Mustang diagnosed can be. I would like to try to make the service experience as painless as possible for you. Please send me a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer, so I can try to assist and I can ensure your situation is appropriately documented as well.

Originally Posted by Will3212
I went to the dealer this afternoon for service and they said it was a bad control arm. The control arm squeaks when you go over a bump. They ordered the part for me and is going to call me when it arrives
Will3212,

I am not sure if you saw my post in your other thread, but I am sorry your control arm failed already. Please also send me a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer, and I will see what I can do to help.

~Natasha
Old 05-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi rogan01,

I understand how difficult finding the time to have your Mustang diagnosed can be. I would like to try to make the service experience as painless as possible for you. Please send me a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer, so I can try to assist and I can ensure your situation is appropriately documented as well.

Will3212,

I am not sure if you saw my post in your other thread, but I am sorry your control arm failed already. Please also send me a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer, and I will see what I can do to help.

~Natasha
thanks for the reply, It said "53 miles till empty" when it was done it said "9 miles till empty". I'm a little frustrated but I understand the mechanic had to drive it for awhile and really listen to the noise. After he lubricated it he had to once again drive for for another 15 minutes. Turned out to be a bad control arm. They won't have the part till May 30th.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Will3212
thanks for the reply, It said "53 miles till empty" when it was done it said "9 miles till empty". I'm a little frustrated but I understand the mechanic had to drive it for awhile and really listen to the noise. After he lubricated it he had to once again drive for for another 15 minutes. Turned out to be a bad control arm. They won't have the part till May 30th.
Will3212,

It is my pleasure to try to resolve issues such as yours. I can understand that can be frustrating to enter your car with an almost empty tank. That is positive news they were able to diagnose it and are replacing the control arm for you. I just wish it was a faster order time for you, as I'm sure you do as well. I appreciate your patience. Please let me know if I can assist in any way.

~Natasha
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM
rickdog67

I realize I am bringing up an old thread, but I have a persistent groan while turning slow speeds, especially when the car is first cranked hot or cold. The car can be sitting still and you still get it (eliminating the rear diff as culprit). I I flushed the power steering, reservoir and used Lucas in the pump. It stopped it for about 3 days. Now it's right back doing it. It is very noticeable, but doesn't sound like your typical ford PS pump whine. Anyone have any experience with what this could be? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 AM
rickdog67

Oh yea, almost forgot. 05 GT. About 77k miles.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys. 2012 GT here. I have 32K miles and I have the EXACT same groan being described in this thread. Still under warranty, PHEW, so I am calling dealer today. It happens only at slow speeds and really noticeable over speed bumps.

Did the control arm fix the problem? I will suggest this to my dealer if it did to help them diagnose.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Hey guys. 2012 GT here. I have 32K miles and I have the EXACT same groan being described in this thread. Still under warranty, PHEW, so I am calling dealer today. It happens only at slow speeds and really noticeable over speed bumps.

Did the control arm fix the problem? I will suggest this to my dealer if it did to help them diagnose.
my car now has 14,000 miles on it, and the front lower control arms were swapped out 4 times. It's the bushings. After 4 attempts it still creaks/groans.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Got the car to the dealer today. They said it is definitely bad control arm bushings. Parts have been ordered, getting them installed next week. I will post again once the work is complete.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Groaning noise coming from the suspension