Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing side window louvers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:36 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default Installing side window louvers

Just got side window louvers (DGC) for my 2011 GT. My first mod!

They come with 2 sided tape already on them and a tube (I assume is adhesion promoter).

I have a couple of questions:

Is it OK to use the tape that came on them? I have heard others suggest using stronger tape. This would mean having to remove the tape on it. Is this really necessary or is the tape attached ok to use? Seems like it would be a pain to remove the tape that is on it.

What do I do with the tube/promoter? - Note: They attach only to the window - not any painted parts. Didn't find instruction in the box.

Thanks to all for any help/advise!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The tape supplied on the louver should be acceptable. The problems that most people run into is improper surface preparation and improper cure time.

You'll need a solvent (standard 70% isopropyl alcohol is NOT acceptable). A good solvent can be bought at any auto parts store as well as a greater than 90% alcohol from some drug stores. You need to remove all impurities from the surface, including wax if you're applying the tape on painted surfaces. Even window surfaces can be loaded with contaminants.

Curing should be done between 60 and 80 degrees F and the car not driven for about 24 hours. Vibration can cause problems with curing as can moisture from washing and condensation (dew).
Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Nuke.

I got the 91% alcohol from the drugstore.

Do you know (or guess) how the stuff in the small tube would come into play or what it is used/needed for?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What markings are on the tube? I'd probably trash it but it's worth calling whomever you bought the louvers from to find out. I think vendors that don't provide clear instructions including materials that aren't marked are pretty irresponsible. My guess is that it's some type of cleaner and/or adhesion promoter. But since adhesion promoters are pretty much nothing but a solvent anyway IMO (since you can't promote good adhesion with contaminants), I wouldn't be impressed.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thank you again Nuke.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:42 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I ordered my louvers from AM and it came with 3M double sided tape, adhesion promoter and alcohol packs. The louvers did not have the 3M tape on them, I had to apply the tape myself. The adhesion promoter was to rub on the back of the louver, before laying down the 3M tape. The alcohol packs were to clean the car, where the louvers stick to it. The 3M tape provided was not very good and I ended up having to purchase a roll of super duty 3M tape from Home depot and fix a corner that did not stick to the car. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I did read your post and experience - and it is one of the reasons I am asking this because it seems like you did everyting right. The difference, though, is that yours attached to the body/paint and these attach only to glass. Since mine came with the 2-sided tape already attached, I am hoping that these are adequate and I do not need to remove/re-install the tape. Seems that the prep is the key (Thanks Nuke)

thanks so much for the feedback and the original post.

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
I ordered my louvers from AM and it came with 3M double sided tape, adhesion promoter and alcohol packs. The louvers did not have the 3M tape on them, I had to apply the tape myself. The adhesion promoter was to rub on the back of the louver, before laying down the 3M tape. The alcohol packs were to clean the car, where the louvers stick to it. The 3M tape provided was not very good and I ended up having to purchase a roll of super duty 3M tape from Home depot and fix a corner that did not stick to the car. Hope this helps.

Last edited by rogan01; 05-13-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rogan01
I did read your post and experience - and it is one of the reasons I am asking this because it seems like you did everyting right. The difference, though, is that yours attached to the body/paint and these attach only to glass. Since mine came with the 2-sided tape already attached, I am hoping that these are adequate and I do not need to remove/re-install the tape. Seems that the prep is the key (Thanks Nuke)

thanks so much for the feedback and the original post.
I thought you may have come across my post, since it's recent. Yes, the louvers I have do attach to the car and not the window. I took my time and followed the directions to the "T" and was shocked it did not completely work. Since your louvers are different, you may not come across any issues. ;-)
Good luck!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-13-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I used to have the full ones that go on the car not the window. I put extra 3m tape on there to bulletproof it and it worked well but then I had to have a panel repainted and had them taken off, I can still tell where they were a little bit but it's not that bad.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

I have the Street Scene louvers that attach to the window. I haven't had any problems in 3 years with them. I would recommend using the adhesion promoter though, it worked for mine.

Quick Reply: Installing side window louvers