Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UNDERCOATING

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:52 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Default UNDERCOATING

What’s up everyone, I have a question in regards to undercoating and im looking for some advice and input. My car is a daily driver and I drive it in all weather conditions. The roads here during the winter are infested in salt. I do a good job of waxing and washing my car on a regular basis because I have a heated garage at work and I take advantage of that. Although my car is a 2006, I only have about 30 thousand miles on it and I plan to keep it a very long time.

So I wanted to get the car undercoated because I hear that it’s good for winter time and it quiets down the car from inside. I was doing a bit of reading and asked some questions here and there and I was told that a rubberized undercoating is good because it will quiet down your car from inside and it will protect it in the winter time. I am also going on a 3500 mile trip next month with my car and I wanted to utilize the rubberized undercoating to keep the noise in the cabin bearable, especially since the wife is coming along and I don’t want to hear any nagging in the car.

So my question is, has anyone used rubberized undercoating, if such thing even exists ? How long does it last ? How much does it usually cost and how long does it take to apply. And would it hurt my car in any way. I don’t care if the bottom of the car is pitch black, that does not bother me. I just care about the noise from inside and the salt and winter time issue. I know some will say, get a winter beater. Been there, and done that, and I just want to drive a nice car all year long and not break down. Any information you have will be helpful and I greatly appreciate any input. Thanks

Forgive me if some of the stuff i said in regards to undercoating does not make sense as i have no idea how it works.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Stay away from any undercoating, especially after the car has been driven off the showroom floor and has seen ANY road crud. No matter how well you try to prep a vehicle that has ANY undercarriage exposure to the elements you'll still seal-in moisture laden dirt and corrosion which will simply continue unnoticed. Too many people have had their cars undercoated only to one day find a totally rusted undercarriage barely supported by some hardened rubber or tar.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Nuke's right! Don't do it.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:42 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I don't know from personal experience but I too, have heard these rumors that undercoating can actually do more harm than good. I thought of doing it on mine when I picked it up since it's a DD for me, but I asked around and decided to shy away from it. I just underbody wash the car a few times in the winter to keep salt build up down.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 AM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

Do not undercoat....period!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Okay i will stay away then. So what is the alternative ? Should i just do what im doing now which is clean it on a regular basis ?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM
66_05GT

Default Fluid Film

I was going to use this stuff, at least in wheel wells, comes in spray cans or brush cans.

http://www.fluid-film.com/applicatio...ive/index.html

I've used it on a number of items from shovels, chains, and sprayed my entire snowblower with it, I like how it works.

Last edited by 66_05GT; 05-22-2011 at 11:11 AM.