Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove bugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Adamspolishes.com will help you out! Try the all purpose cleaner (you will have to rewax but this method works best), the waterless car wash (I have not experience with this one), or even the detail spray will really help if you let it soak on the bumper for a little while. Claybar if totally needed.

Last edited by MustangFirstCar; 05-23-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Have one of those invisa-shields put on your car. Looks like thick cellaphane
Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I find that once I have a good coat of wax on, the bugs come off quite easy with the nylon (or whatever that material is) on the back of my microfiber wash thingy. And when I need to get the finish perfect for waxing, I clay bar any remaining blemishes.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

Great tips!! Thanks! I give it a try. I hate the bug & tar removers cause they seem to strip the wax & seem hard on the paint. Reminds me of oily paint thinner good ideas!! Thanks!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You either scrub them off or dissolve them. Dissolving prevents the worry of rubbing the lil' buggers (no pun intended) into your paint but also may force you to rewax. No big deal, though. It just means more time spent with your babe... I mean, car.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:43 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I just moved to SW Florida and these love bugs are crazy hard to get off cars! Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jspagna1
I swear by Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover. I've used it for years for that as well as removing tar and other streaks in the paint with no ill effects to the clearcoat.
That's good to hear.. I just bought some a few minutes ago lol. I have always heard turtle wax products are terrible, but their chrome polish and bug remover is good. We shall see. The bugs here in the muggy south east are awful in the summer.

BTW, those f'ing sponges with the scrubbing mesh over them put swirls in the clear. I have perfect paint everywhere, but every time I try and wash the bugs off the front with that kind of sponge, swirls appear all over the front bumper and I have to buff it again. Probably wouldn't be able to see them with an orange car, though.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
That's good to hear.. I just bought some a few minutes ago lol. I have always heard turtle wax products are terrible, but their chrome polish and bug remover is good. We shall see. The bugs here in the muggy south east are awful in the summer.

BTW, those f'ing sponges with the scrubbing mesh over them put swirls in the clear. I have perfect paint everywhere, but every time I try and wash the bugs off the front with that kind of sponge, swirls appear all over the front bumper and I have to buff it again. Probably wouldn't be able to see them with an orange car, though.
Yep, Turtle wax blows with the exception of those products, of which I own both haha. I love the chrome polish for my exhaust tips and the bug and tar remover does it's job adequately.

I also ran into the swirl issue with sponges, my mom's 2009 Camry ended up getting F*cked up because of it..I used one on it to get some of the deeper tar/bug issues out and messed the clear up badly. Luckily now I've learned and was able to compound out the marring on her paint but still, those sponges can be really bad.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
My car is the same way. The best thing I have found is a sponge that they sell at just about everywhere. It is covered in a weave of something. IT WILL NOT SCRATCH YOUR FINISH. I just wet the car down and do my little wash routine. When I get the the front,I just put a little elbow grease to it. Sometimes when I rinse it I will need to go over it again. Washed it yesterday. Great looking GT/CS. I have always liked the orange w/ black stripes.

Same thing I use. I always called it a bug sponge. It's a sponge covered with a nylon net. As the above said, it will not scratch. Works well with some warm water with a little car wash soap.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I just moved to SW Florida and these love bugs are crazy hard to get off cars! Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Yeah, my parents used to live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and my dad had a white Crown Vic. I used to pull my hair out trying to clean them off his car.

Quick Reply: How do you remove bugs?