Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novi 2200 Clicking/Ticking/Rattle Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Default Novi 2200 Clicking/Ticking/Rattle Noise

First off would like to say thanks for taking the time to read my thread...

My Novi 2200 is making a clicking/tick or rattle noise ONLY at idle engine speeds. It did not make this noise til I had the belt thrown off 2 different times (not sure what to chalk that up to other than the installer)

The second time it threw the belt is when the blower started to make this noise at an idle. It also would make a noticeable rattle noise when shutting the car off. I had the blower taken off and sent it in to Paxton and they found a problem with a bearing, and covered it under the warranty (bought in in February)

I had my mechanic set up the car in the mean time so I could drive it without the blower, the noise was not present without the blower.

After I received the blower back when they replaced the bearing, it is still making this clicking noise at idle and also the rattling noise when shutting the car off.

The sound is clearly coming from the blower, but since I just got done having it rebuilt, it makes me think there is something else in the system that is causing extra drag on the Supercharger that is causing this noise to occur.

Right now I am suspecting my Belt Tensioner as it was off another car who for some reason replaced there tensioner with a Steeda Tensioner. (When I threw the first belt, it snapped my original tensioner in half, my mechanic gave the used one to me for free... and then it threw a 2nd belt, so maybe the tensioner is bent or something)

Here is a video of the sound from INSIDE the car setting my phone on the dashboard. You can hear it best when the screen turns black... You may need to turn up the speakers because it's hard to notice the sound unless you have already heard it. I will try to get a better video of the sound today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rfjb8iLMg4
Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Here are 2 better videos of the issue:

Clicking Noise at Idle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SSXKKgKDCw

Rattle at Shut Off (Usually the sound is more extreme than this video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7Wh_CWnII
Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Use a hose, put one side to your ear, and probe the other-side on the engine....one way to locate the source.

I hear two sources....one sounds like lifters, and the other like blower bearings. I'm not at all qualified to make those statements though...

PS: Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SQYSM?...5PWAHN4982JMK&

Last edited by Roy_R; 06-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Vortech is saying that the sound is normal and is caused by gear backlash because the "back lash that is set between the tolerance in the gear case" is usually between .013 and .020, and that closer to .020 is louder.

They said mine is at .017 and that it will be a louder unit... but I don't remember it happening until getting the 3rd belt put on after throwing the first 2.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Use a hose, put one side to your ear, and probe the other-side on the engine....one way to locate the source.

I hear two sources....one sounds like lifters, and the other like blower bearings. I'm not at all qualified to make those statements though...

PS: Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SQYSM?...5PWAHN4982JMK&
Thanks for your reply

Vortech did find a bad bearing when I sent it in for rebuild but they said they replaced it under warranty.

The sound is clearly coming from the blower since the car did not make the noise without the blower on it (when I mailed in the blower for rebuild, I had it rigged up to run without the blower). I also had several mechanics including the dealer ship do the screw driver test and said it was coming from the blower.

The only way I can see that it would not be the blower is if there is something before the blower creating some extra drag on it causing the rattling sound... of course it wasn't there without the blower... but maybe somehow a vibration or something is being amplified by the blower so that it's audible? I don't really know if that is possible... I'm not a mechanic

Vortech is saying not to worry about it since the sound goes away after the car is revved up and is only happening at idle.

Last edited by gburke1; 06-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Mine does that exact same sound, and has done so since installed. Recently changed the supercharger oil after the 2500mi break in, and it came out fine. No abnormal wear signs. I thought it was compressor surge, but i asked turbo guys at the dyno, and they all said it sounded normal.

So I guess it's normal.
Or you can stop driving your car and wait to see if mine craps out, and I'll let you know.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Does yours have a vibration in the pedal that is synchronized with the noise & also the rattle when you shut it off?

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the ticking noise.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
Does yours have a vibration in the pedal that is synchronized with the noise & also the rattle when you shut it off?

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the ticking noise.
I have urethane engine mounts. My entire car shakes and vibrates at any given moment the engine is turning, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that question.

I'm sure there are more Paxton/Vortec guys around here that could answer that.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Had a Steeda Heavy Duty belt tensioner installed... Hopefully this solves my issue with throwing belts, but the clicking noise is still there! I have to get a better video of the noise on shut off, it really sounds like crap
Old 06-25-2011, 09:56 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

My Vortech sounds very similar as far as a rattling/clicking noise which is normal according to Vortech and there is many people with the same sound!

Quick Reply: Novi 2200 Clicking/Ticking/Rattle Noise