Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1350 repair estimate and a POS warranty, what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default $1350 repair estimate and a POS warranty, what to do??

My air bag light has been on for a few months but since i wasnt driving my car more then a couple times a month i never got around to taking it to the dealership. Now my steering wheel buttons are shorting out when i turn left.
So i take it to the dealership and then told me it would be $1357 to fix them both! $1100ish was for the airbag, the wheel wasnt much.
What really sucks is i have an aftermarket extended warranty and somehow it doesnt cover safety features??

So that brings me to my dilemma. I havent gotten all of the details just yet but the guy at ford said something about a spring or coil in the steering wheel was bad and causing the short and that both of the airbag sensors were bad. I believe he said the parts were only about $200. Normally i would be all for doing my own labor but i dont know much about the airbag system. Do you guys think either repairs would be somewhat simple or would i be in over my head? My dad is a mechanic for delta and does almost all the work to our cars when they need repair. My mom is going to talk to the warranty people to try and find out whats up but im doubting they will end up covering it at all and i really dont wanna spend 1300 seeing as i just ordered my cold air and tuner a couple days ago...

Also, worst case scenario, if i cant get around to fixing for a while is it possible to unplug the airbag light?? its quite annoying

Last edited by Shadow7874; 05-21-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Ive been doing some reading and ive come to the conclusion that its the clock spring that is the problem. Im not sure that its causing the airbag light problem but its almost definitely causing the cruise control lights to shut off. Anyone know anything about replacing a clock spring or have some decent links to more info? Google didnt turn up much really.

After i talk to the guys at ford ill most likely end up doing the clock spring work myself assuming that is the problem. I am a bit worried about working around the airbags. If i disconnect the battery is it at all possible to the airbags to even deploy? Or what precautions should i take?

Last edited by Shadow7874; 05-21-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:14 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Is it the ABS light or an Airbag. The clock spring caused my ABS light to come on in my 06 Duper duty.

BTW: Extended warrantys are useless!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

The clock spring is less than $200 and it can't be more than $50 for labor.
You could also have faulty sensors, which would not be a $1300 repair, not even close.
Run! Run! Away from that dishonest dealer and never go back.

Airbags will not activate when the battery is disconnected, so you're safe.
To replace the clock spring you will need to remove the bag first then the steering wheel.
Only then, you can access to the spring.
When removing the wheel, use a sharpie to mark where it was on the column shaft, that way you'll be able to index it exactly where it was.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

What's your milage??? I thought the 5 year 60K covers powertrain and safety restraint system???
Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, we all know how cheaply these cars are made and how Ford fights tooth and nail to not repair them on their dime. Guess that's how we do business these days.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:50 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

The dealer is trying to take you for a ride (surprise surprise). Don't let them do it
Old 05-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

They told me the clock spring itself is $65 to order which is the cheapest ive seen online (havent looked much) so ill probably buy it from them and do the install myself. They told me that both airbags and the airbag monitor need to be replaced...
I have ready that the clock spring can set the airbag light off so im hoping that is the problem and the dealership is wrong. I had both my passenger and driver seat disconnected for my leather seat install so the light was also on for that reason and im praying that they say that and thought it was the problem or something??
I dont plan on dealing with that dealership much, the only times i have had to deal with them was when i was under warranty and everything went fine (but then again i wasnt paying)

The airbag light is now flashing once then 9 times then repeating, anyone know what that means?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coyote 5.0
What's your milage??? I thought the 5 year 60K covers powertrain and safety restraint system???
That is what my Warranty Guide says.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:03 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Well, we all know how cheaply these cars are made and how Ford fights tooth and nail to not repair them on their dime. Guess that's how we do business these days.
Hey MORON he said it's aftermarket warranty.

Quick Reply: $1350 repair estimate and a POS warranty, what to do??