Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous vs. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Default Nitrous vs. Supercharger

If I am only going to need/use the juice once every blue moon when I race someone from a stoplight or take the car to the track, does it make sense for me to get a n20 kit vs. a supercharger? I know fill ups add up, but I honestly think i want a supercharger more than I 'need' it.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Let's be honest, I did not need it on either of my cars....LOL.

That being said, I am biased, as 2 out of 3 of my cars (3rd is a corvette) are supercharged. I have never had nitrous in any of my cars, but I do understand it is the cheapest way to go fast. However, it's only cheap if you don't hurt anything. If you truly start adding all the "bells & whistles" to a nitrous kit, it get's up there in price. While you can probably get yourself a "bag & bottle" kit for about $500, is it really worth it? Some say yes, like I said, I'm biased!

I would personally save some $$$$ & go heads/cam/intake or FI, just my .02!

Mike

PS Stop kidding yourself about only using it at the track......
Old 06-03-2011, 04:43 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I don't think any of us NEED our go-fast mods. But FWIW when I drive the Mustang I use that Supercharger almost every time I touch the throttle. I could be all alone, not another car in sight, and I'm still mashing that thing. It gives me a smile ear to ear. If some punk is there who just got his doors blown off, thats just a bonus.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Believe me...when you feel the extra power you will want it all the time...supercharge the thing and do it right the first time...
Old 06-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vader GT
Let's be honest, I did not need it on either of my cars....LOL.

That being said, I am biased, as 2 out of 3 of my cars (3rd is a corvette) are supercharged. I have never had nitrous in any of my cars, but I do understand it is the cheapest way to go fast. However, it's only cheap if you don't hurt anything. If you truly start adding all the "bells & whistles" to a nitrous kit, it get's up there in price. While you can probably get yourself a "bag & bottle" kit for about $500, is it really worth it? Some say yes, like I said, I'm biased!

I would personally save some $$$$ & go heads/cam/intake or FI, just my .02!

Mike

PS Stop kidding yourself about only using it at the track......
There's a clause about stoplights in there :P

My interest in n20 is partly because there is a local guy selling(and I quote) "bottle, ZEX smart box, all lines, hoses and fittings, bottle warmer, bottle pressure gauge, dual purge kit and the install instructions. " for $350 and he will install it for me.

I should probably add that I'm a college student, and my only source of income is my co-op. I make a little over 10k/semester when working. I will make 20k or so in the next 6 months, not counting my tax return. I have to pay off my car( owe about 10k) and pay for school/books/food/gas/insurance. I can fit a supercharger into the budget, but it's gonna be close.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I don't think any of us NEED our go-fast mods. But FWIW when I drive the Mustang I use that Supercharger almost every time I touch the throttle. I could be all alone, not another car in sight, and I'm still mashing that thing. It gives me a smile ear to ear. If some punk is there who just got his doors blown off, thats just a bonus.
Originally Posted by Lifter583
Believe me...when you feel the extra power you will want it all the time...supercharge the thing and do it right the first time...
I think this way myself, but I was wondering if the N20 would end up being more cost effective. I could buy the kit and have it installed monday and have it now, vs waiting a year or more for f/i, if i could afford it.

P.S. out of curiosity, what are you f/i guys getting mpg wise? also, what is a total kit+install kit estimate? If I went with Procharger, I have had a couple people tell me I could get a full kit for $3500 or less if I shop around.

Last edited by Roush05; 06-03-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:54 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

In most states its illegal to have that bottle hooked up. FI is the way to go. Its been said for years, I heard it and never believed it till I crossed over. I don't watch mpg, I just fill with premium and continue the fun.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Well my car came supercharged, I just upgrade other components. And I do all the work myself so I save cash there. If you did all the work yourself, or with a buddy, you could probably get blown for 4k.

MPG wise my mileage didn't suffer at all during 90% of my driving. It actually got better as I upgraded my shortblock to a lower-compression forged block. But with the boost bypass, the supercharger sucks very little power. I'm sure in boost I'm sucking it down 2x as fast as before. But on the highway I can still see 22-24 if I'm nice.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
I think this way myself, but I was wondering if the N20 would end up being more cost effective. I could buy the kit and have it installed monday and have it now, vs waiting a year or more for f/i, if i could afford it.

P.S. out of curiosity, what are you f/i guys getting mpg wise? also, what is a total kit+install kit estimate? If I went with Procharger, I have had a couple people tell me I could get a full kit for $3500 or less if I shop around.
Roush understood about the financial status, I was there (college-a long time ago...LOL). N2O will get you what you want, I'm just not a big fan. My BEST advise (if your going the N2O route) is get a CUSTOM tune! While this may run you up to $500, IMO it's well worth it. Good luck & let us know.

I see you live in Ga, if you're close to Jacksonville, I know about 3 very good tuners down here.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05

One more thing, a Pro-charger for about $3500 is NOT a complete kit, it's the tuner kit so there will be more out of pocket $$$$. I would get a complete intercooled kit, probably closer to 5K. Paxton/Procharger/Vortech, or any reputable company now a day have done a very good job at "putting everything together" that is needed.

You can also keep an eye out for a used kit, they usually go for around 3K from any of those companies above.

Quick Reply: Nitrous vs. Supercharger