Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caring for plastics/weatherstripping/molding

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
PStuart

Default Caring for plastics/weatherstripping/molding

I've seen several products on the market for caring for plastics/weatherstripping/molding (all black). My '07 is looking kinda gritty on the rubber edge that is between the side windows and the door. I don't see any weatherstripping/molding on americanmuscle.com so I might as well do what I can to make it look pretty again. I'm hoping for something I can also use to keep hoses under the hood looking fresh and on exterior plastic (e.g. side mirrors, plastic trim below doors, window cowling). Any recommendations, need not be a one-size-fits-all application. Curious as to how you guys keep everything looking fresh. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Mother's Back to Black is what I use on all of my black trim.
They not to get it on the paint, I don't think it hurts the paint, but it leaves a greasy residue.
If you have a V6 with the textured black side skirts, I wash them well, then I spray tire shine on the side skirt. Makes it look really black and it shines. It will hide some dirt too.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

How long does a treatment last? I actually snagged some by chance for free, but haven't put any on yet... my 06's trim is terrible.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Put on a very liberal coating and it should last 2 months or more.
Even at the end of 2 months it won't look as bad as it does now.
But if you do it frequently it should stop anymore damage by keeping the plastic conditioned.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Just a tad off topic, here is how I have kept my 4 year old Pony mint and I mean mint with no tire browning or any thing. It still has the "new car" smell

No water hose, only hand detailing.
California Car Duster
MicroFiber cloths
Meguiars Silicone-Free Dressing for tires and plastics
Meguiars Mirror Glaze Final Inspection 34, this is also silicon free

736 total miles and a climate controlled garage has also helped.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I use a product from chemical guys ( http://www.chemicalguys.com/Trim_Res...tvd_108_16.htm ) but also I hear that back to black is also great.

I apply mine about once a month for a deep dark shine and when garaged, my car only sheds it after at least a month. Maybe 2 weeks in the elements. It's expensive but it literally lasts forever. I've applied it at least 6-7 times on the tires and trim and I don't think I've even used a whole ounce yet.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 AM
PStuart

Ok you've sold me on Back to Black. Do you use it under the hood too? I'm just thinking on hoses and any plastic non-moving parts to dress up a bit.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I've never really cleaned under my hood besides a quick once over at the car wash.
But I can't see where Back to Black would hurt anything under there as long as you are careful.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I use turtle wax ice on all my black exterior trim pieces....it really gives them a "new" look.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

back to black is ok but it does not last long and will wash off within a week or 2. poorboys Trim restore is a good product to use and not to expensive..The best out there and stuff I use is Ultima Tire and Trim guard plus..its a little expensive but it goes ALONG way and will not wash off for months and bead water like nobodys business. Black WOW is also another good product.
Sorry anything turtle wax = junk

Last edited by 05xrunner; 06-15-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Caring for plastics/weatherstripping/molding