Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another navigation thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM
havensole

Default Yet another navigation thread

Hi Guys. I am new to the forum and new to the mustang. I've been a Ford guy for a long time and have a 67 Ranchero sitting in my driveway too. Anyway, I just bought an 06 v6 Mustang with the Pony Package and Shaker 500 sound system. My question is that I am looking for a factory nav unit to replace the shaker 500 and I don't see many specifically for the mustang come up on ebay within my budget. Most seem to be out of an Edge or Mountaineer. Part number I've seen a few times is 7T4T-18K931-BA. I know I will probably have to have the unit reprogrammed at the dealer, which isn't a huge thing, but would one of these units work ok in the mustang? I am trying to keep the car stock for the most part. I would love to throw one of the newer Sync nav systems in there but from what I've seen here and on other forums it doesn't look like that would really work. Thanks for you help everyone.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 AM
lasher10

dealer told me that the factory nav will not work if you have the Shaker system
Old 09-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You may have to go aftermarket.
But FEAR NOT!

Pioneer makes a unit that fits PERFECTLY and looks GREAT in our Mustangs.
The 3300BT. It is a touch screen unit with blutooth, DVD,IPOD, a USB slot, a SD Card slot (which I might add is SO AWESOME!), plays pretty much all formats of music files, and available XM/Sirius satellite combo card that goes in the back of the unit where you cannot see it.
It also has a NAV card that goes in the back you cannot see.

The Nav in the 3300BT just plain beats the Ford Nav system to death.
You can even get live traffic updates with it. Has voice too of course.

You can watch videos of it... load your own backrounds into it, and change all aspects of the button colors etc. to fit your taste.

The best thing is the Unit, and ordering the satellite AND Nav system comes to a total price of about 1300 bucks INSTALLED.
This beats the heck out of the factory unit's price and everything about it is better.
No it does not have the option to actually talk to the radio and say "play CD 4" like some of the newer stock radios do, but everything else about it is better.
Including the sound quality. It has multiple setups on where you want the digital displays such as IPOD button and such to display on a different area of the screen too.
This thing is almost TOTALLY adjustable to your taste.
Much more than any other unit I have heard of.

And that usb and SD card slot are PRICELESS.
Not many units have SD card slots. You can load pictures, backgrounds, and even store a BUNCH of
music on it so you don't even have to hook up your IPOD if you don't like doing that like me.
The USB slot does the same thing with a USB card. The SD card just slides into the unit and has an eject button.
Of course you CAN hook up the IPOD or IPHONE if you wish.

The Nav and satellite you have to buy with it separately but like I said the total cost installed still goes from 1100-1300 dollars.
An AWESOME unit. Here is a picture:

I was referred to this unit by a number of people and right before we traded our 06GT we had this baby installed on it not knowing we
were going to trade the car a mere two weeks later lol.
But I LOVED every single aspect about this unit.
Plus the screen does not fold to get in the way of the shifter and sits at a height where you see it perfectly.
See those green buttons? Those are some of the buttons you can change to a vast number of colors.
You can do the same with the backround lights/text, and other things.

I would take this unit over the factory unit ANY DAY.
And like I said the Nav you can get with it beats the Ford Nav HANDS DOWN.
I was BLOWN AWAY that this unit has such an amazing price on it.
You can buy one with nav and such that does not have the SD card slot or the customizable features of this one, that
has less sound quality and it will usually cost you at least 300 bucks more.
This unit is a BIG BANG for your buck and really is a big bang all the way around!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-03-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:39 AM
defiance772
1st Gear Member

Smile

Hey dude. I did the factory navigation installation in May bought it for $500 on ebay and I couldn't be happier. The factory nav system doesn't work with shaker 1000 so you are in the clear. The only problem that I have in the install was I got an error. Basically the error is that my car is a convertible and the convertible option is not loaded. The factory nav came from a mustang donor vehicle. Yeah not sure about the 2010 and up nav systems with sync though, I doubt it's possible. If you have any questions let me know. Here's a pic of mine. Though I wish it had a DVD player, but then again nothing beats factory look.

Last edited by defiance772; 09-03-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Good info there defiance!
Looks like he can get a stock one if he wants!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:26 AM
lasher10

defiance, you replaced a shaker500 deck? Dealer told me that if I had the standard radio it would work, but no go with the shaker.
Blacksmoke, who did your install and what system did you replace? I heard the shaker system has some sort of amp. Did you remove the amp and replace it?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 PM
defiance772
1st Gear Member

No you didn't need to switch the amp. It was all plug and play. I took out the shaker500 and then put in the nav unit in.