Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Due Soon, JUST bought new '09 GT: AMSoil worth it/recommended!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:07 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Arrow Oil Change Due Soon, JUST bought new '09 GT: AMSoil worth it/recommended!?

Oil Change Due Soon, JUST bought new '09 GT: AMSoil worth it/recommended!?

Hi everyone - SO EXCITED I found this forum; definitely plan on being here a lot, and for a long time. Going to introduce myself as soon as I'm done with this post.

I just purchase a 2009 Mustang GT CS one week ago today basically, and I want to begin it's babying as soon as possible, and was wondering if all this positive talk I've heard from of course my local AMSoil salesman, and online, is true and worth it?

Right now my engine is stock, but I have big plans I'm already saving up for to make happen this coming Spring (see below in my signature), so I'd like to know if going synthetic will add any true measurable benefit to my Stang, or if it's mostly all hype and the slight difference in longevity is too small to care about?

Lay it on me experts, I'm here to learn and to follow your advice with my next oil change, and MANY more questions into the future! THANK YOU.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

You're going to be bombarded with opinions on this.

The question for you first of all is, how many miles per year do you plan on putting on the mustang? Also, are you going to be tracking it or just using it to cruise around and enjoying it more calmly?

If you plan on tracking it and pushing it hard much, then I'd say you should go with a full synthetic, whether it's Amsoil, Royal Purple, Red Line

If you don't, and you don't plan on putting high mileage on the car each year (over 10,000mi/yr) then Amsoil is likely a waste of cash for you.

There are cheaper options out there that many of us use, who choose not to use Amsoil. And they're still great oils, and absolutely fine for normal use. Some high tier non "full synths" are Pennzoil Ultra, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, products like that. That are very high quality oils but with a cheaper price tag.

It all comes down to your driving habits, and whether you're willing to go high mileage on any oil at all. If you'll be stubborn about not wanting to let your oil stay in the car for a year or 10,000 miles, then hell no, don't go synthetic at all, just use dino oil and swap it out every 3-5k miles
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

hey...beaut of a ride...is it vapor? How many miles? More pics please...pdonket is right on, like mine I just run the ford moco oil from the dealership (I buy it, and change my own), but my 09 has 46xx miles, and I bought it new...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

I have been using Mobil 1 since mid 80's with all kinds of cars. Never had any issue with the oil. Mobil 1 is priced more reasonally too.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 PM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering too. Thanks for the info.
Now I know that I must go for the non "full synths"!
Very nice ride by the way, as highline mentionned, more pics please!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What pdonket said. I used Amsoil in the Stang when I was driving about 24,000 miles per year and changing it at 10,000 mile intervals. But now I drive it about 5,000 miles per year. I'm switching to Pennzoil Ultra which is probably still overkill. If you drive less than 7000 miles in a 6 month period, then the factory-supplied synthetic blend is all the protection you need.

I still use the Motorcraft blend in the '06 Pony and change it every 6 months or 7000 miles.

As long as you change any type of oil; dino, blend or full syn; at the proper frequency, you'll get the same mileage and reliability from your engine.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

WHOA... over 1,000 views!? I want to VERY SINCERELY thank you all for the amazing and applicable/understandable advice, it was HUGELY helpful. I can't thank you enough, this single thread answered all of my questions.

I am going to stick with stock oil I suppose, this car is a pure pleasure car, and I will be storing it during all seasons of harsh weather.

Will it matter once I have the Kenne Bell Supercharger System on it whether I need to think about changing to a different oil?

Lastly, when talking about "full-synths" these differ from AMSoil/Redline etc how? Which one of the full-synths should I stick with for the best hybrid of value and quality, I don't mind paying slightly more to baby my baby, haha, THANKS!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:55 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Mobil 1 is not really that much less expensive. If you get the cheap Mobile 1, then yes, there is a big difference. The local Oreillys sells Mobile 1's top oil for $8.99/qt. Royal Purple for $8.99/qt. I sell Amsoil for $9.50/qt. Is 51 cents really much of a difference when getting the good stuff? I can see someone complaining of going from the fake synthetics for $5.99 to $9.50. But not this.

The differences between the fake syns and real synthetics lies within a google search. Search for the term hydrocracking and you will understand what is done to normal oil to allow it to be sold as synthetic. Search Mobil vs Castrol, and you will understand why the fake stuff can be legally called synthetic.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 07-04-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm confused. You said you were going to stick with the stock oil (which is Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W20) yet you're asking about what full synthetic to get.

If you want one of the best synthetics, you can't go wrong with Amsoil. But it's a waste if you're changing it at anything less than 10,000 miles. As I stated earlier, if you insist on more frequent oil changes, then use one of the blends or a lesser expensive full syn. You'll get equal engine protection.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:29 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
Mobil 1 is not really that much less expensive. If you get the cheap Mobile 1, then yes, there is a big difference. The local Oreillys sells Mobile 1's top oil for $8.99/qt. Royal Purple for $8.99/qt. I sell Amsoil for $9.50/qt. Is 51 cents really much of a difference when getting the good stuff? I can see someone complaining of going from the fake synthetics for $5.99 to $9.50. But not this.

The differences between the fake syns and real synthetics lies within a google search. Search for the term hydrocracking and you will understand what is done to normal oil to allow it to be sold as synthetic. Search Mobil vs Castrol, and you will understand why the fake stuff can be legally called synthetic.
I don't know much about Mobil products, but I'm planning on going the Pennzoil road after I finish off my current fill of Amsoil. You can get Pennzoil Ultra for about $5-$6 per quart, which is a significant savings over Ams, and after looking at oil data of Penz. Platinum, which seems to be a 8k-10k mile change, Pennzoil Ultra is even more refined so I won't have any problem running it 10K miles.

I think the point that's trying to be argued here is that yes, PAO synthetics are technically better, no arguing about it. However, if I run pennzoil Ultra and save my money, do I honestly believe that marginally more wear on my engine will kill my engine before 200k miles? not really. Even if it died before then, I wouldn't be pointing my finger at the oil. I don't even know if I'll have my car long enough to see the day come lol.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Due Soon, JUST bought new '09 GT: AMSoil worth it/recommended!?