Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experimental Liquid Cooling System (Just An Idea)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 AM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
I have my chemicals. It was used to cool and boost WWII aircraft engines. I'm keeping it secret for now, but my friend who took AP chemistry says its a go for testing. I just need to find a way to compress the 2 gas elements into liquid form, and the liquid element controlled. I'm going to buy a cheap 4cyl engine to test my theory on.
Are you messing with us or was this a serious statement?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

my friend who took AP chemistry says its a go for testing.
I got it! I know who you are! You're Chumlee from Pawn Stars!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Has anyone read all of Young gun's previous threads? He's either a professional troll or a human vegetable.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I have my chemicals. It was used to cool and boost WWII aircraft engines. I'm keeping it secret for now... I just need to find a way to compress the 2 gas elements into liquid form, and the liquid element controlled. I'm going to buy a cheap 4cyl engine to test my theory on.
During WW2, piston aircraft, many of which were supercharged and/or turbocharged were water and/or methanol cooled and also boosted in the throttle setting called war time setting.
For example, the P47 mounted the P&W R2800 (called "double wasp" for two rows of radial cylinders) used water injection and the water injected versions made around as much as 2500 BHP shaft. There were other versions of this very same engine that pushed 2800 BHP shaft without any cooling injection shots.
A more massive engine from P&W was both turbochaged and supercharged, the R4360 (called "wasp major"). This engine was mounted on the B36, first intercontinental bomber, last of the massivlely produced piston engine bombers for overall military bomber service. To my knowledge, the R4360 never used any sort of cooling injection shots.

Injection shots are not always needed to produce massive power or adequate cooling as demonstrated by the aircraft piston engine history. And that is probably why very very very few production cars ever had such equipment.

But if you want such a thing for your car, I believe you can order such kits:
Kits for cars: http://www.coolingmist.com/

Some info about water/methanol/alcohol cooling shots:
The wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_i..._%28engines%29

Just some food for thought: going to a more alcohol fuel, such as methanol or ethanol, will make your engine run much cooler. Alcohols are much more combustible than gasolines and when such fuel enters the combustion chamber and hit the hot cylinder walls and combustion chambers, they very quickly draw heat out of them thus cooling the engine block. And becuase you have to dump considerably more of such a fuel into the cylinder, the increased mass of that fuel draws out more heat.
The only draw back is that alcohol fuels are very mileage inefficient. Do not expect to get 20MPG from going such a fuel. You will have to mix it with gasoline, as much as 85% or 90% gasoline (E15 & E10) to help preserve the usual fuel economy. BTW, most summertime gas blends at the pump are about a E10 blend.

...my friend who took AP chemistry says its a go for testing...
I took AP chemistry also. And when I went to college, I also took 3 courses of chem as part of my engineering studies.

Despite all these courses I took, I am far from being a chemist and I would never attempt such endeavor without doing proper calculations first.

I know, calculations do not replace real live testing, but doing calculations first also make sure you do not kill yourself when you get to the actual testing.

Look at how Ford does it: They first design on paper first, well in computer (CAD), they do calculations and virtual testing first (again in CAD), and then they attempt live testing on actual hardware and designed prototypes.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Has anyone read all of Young gun's previous threads? He's either a professional troll or a human vegetable.
+1
troll
Old 07-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
+1
troll
^***^

Hell. It seems like 25% of the community are asses. Glad you're proud enough to show it off
Old 07-09-2011, 03:21 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Never mind all that. They are saying it wrong to you.

What they are saying is just do not blowing yourself up or otherwise hurt yourself just for an experiment.
And most of all, don't listen to someone who only took AP chem. You are best talking to a licensed engineer and a degreed PHD chemist.

Don't try to compress gas into a liquid form without the proper equipment using the proper procedures. If anything, just buy the gas in liquid form. When I was in college, the university NEVER compressed its own gas into liquid; they purchased it in liquid form already.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Never mind all that. They are saying it wrong to you.

What they are saying is just do not blowing yourself up or otherwise hurt yourself just for an experiment.
And most of all, don't listen to someone who only took AP chem. You are best talking to a licensed engineer and a degreed PHD chemist.

Don't try to compress gas into a liquid form without the proper equipment using the proper procedures. If anything, just buy the gas in liquid form. When I was in college, the university NEVER compressed its own gas into liquid; they purchased it in liquid form already.
I won't blow myself up... I (despite my age) have extensive explosives experience... And I will try to find it in liquid form if I can.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Well, at least you're not in PA
Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Since you bring up age, how old are you?

Quick Reply: Experimental Liquid Cooling System (Just An Idea)