Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default noob coolant question

This is sort of a noob question, but I am preparing to install my supercharger this week (tuesday & wednesday) and I would like to know what exactly I put into my radiator and intercooler. Do I mix water and a little anti freeze? Also is there any particular brand recommended for anything?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I'm running motorcraft premium gold and water ~50/50 leaning towards water in both. My Roush directions said to fill intercooler with same as the engine. You can add an additive like RP's Purple Ice or Redline water wetter to both the intercooler and the engine. When I get my oil I'm going to try the amsoil coolant additive but cant remember what its called off the top of my head.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
I'm running motorcraft premium gold and water ~50/50 leaning towards water in both. My Roush directions said to fill intercooler with same as the engine. You can add an additive like RP's Purple Ice or Redline water wetter to both the intercooler and the engine. When I get my oil I'm going to try the amsoil coolant additive but cant remember what its called off the top of my head.
I was just reading about the royal purple ice. Can it be used instead of water? Basically I am just doing a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze and im good?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Yep 50/50 water/antifreeze. You can add a bottle of RP to the engine coolant and maybe half a bottle to the intercooler but you cannot use it instead of water AFIK.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

If you want the best cooling just flush all the water/antifreeze out of both the motor and the intercooler (if you have one), and fill them up with distilled water and water wetter or something similar. But when it starts getting cold it will have to be changed!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 AM
JimC

It is a good idea to make sure the two systems are using a different color of coolant. That way if you have a coolant leak, the color will tell you which system is leaking.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Alright I'm gonna stop by my local autozone and see what they have. I am gonna go with with the 50/50 water/antifreeze but maybe they will have the royal purple stuff and I will add that to both.

Jim -- Really smart idea I never thought of that!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Since you're in NYC I'd still run antifreeze. I'm in Florida, I just run a little antifreeze (for the anti-corrosion) water wetter, and water. Coolant temps stay pretty consistant and fairly low.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
It is a good idea to make sure the two systems are using a different color of coolant. That way if you have a coolant leak, the color will tell you which system is leaking.
This, or use the same coolant, but fill one with a UV green dye additive so it will change the color.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
This, or use the same coolant, but fill one with a UV green dye additive so it will change the color.
Guys it's pretty obvious on the Roush blowers which system is which so no need for this really, Autozone carries water wetter, I have heard of water wetter leaving oily residue in your coolant after its been used awhile, try RP. I personally buy the antifreeze and mix with distilled water myself so I get the mixture I want. I'm probable closer to 45% antifreeze. Not sure about the anitfreeze's Autozone carries just make sure whatever you get is compatible for our cars.

Quick Reply: noob coolant question