Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-16-2015, 11:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Drive a convertible in winter

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

you guys mad i've seen snow like twice? :P
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
you guys mad i've seen snow like twice? :P
I see snow alot, my mustang however does not!

I love the snow, because my DD is a WRX and its a blast
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I went through a radar trap in Oregon in the Columbia River Gorge doing 78 mph in 4 inches of snow in a '86 Mazda 626 FWD. I figured the cop would not have the ***** to chase me down so I did not slow down. A few minutes later he pulled up behind me and pulled me over, he had to hit 100 to catch up with me. The cop was driving a ' 89 5.0. I sold the Mazda and bought a Mustang. I've never bought another FWD car.
I've been driving a 2000 V6 Mustang here in WI for 5 yrs, we got 100" of snow one year. If I have the ground clearance, I will drive it. I use Altimax tires in the winter, I also keep a set of emergency chains in the car and blankets, water and a few snacks. My 16 year old son drove it all last winter with no problems... we only had 55 " of snow last winter.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
...If I have the ground clearance, I will drive it...
And there's my point. Any more than 4" - 6" of unplowed, fresh snow and start walking. My DD is a part-time 4WD SUV and I just begin to THINK about putting it in 4WD about the time the Stang is pushing snow.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Everyone stop complaining about the stang sucking in bad weather. It is simply untrue. Get yourself a good set of winter tires, and if you are really paranoid, throw some sand bags in the trunk. I survived my first winter of driving in my stang on tires with literally millimeters of tread left. I drove to school every day in the snow and ice and here I am. A few close calls, but I blame my inexperience rather then the stang. Plus, I learned that driving in the snow can be fun if you let it be. Powerslide corners, make dramatic stops, etc. Have fun with it. Of course, not when others are around, but when you drive to school in 4 inches of snow on back roads that have yet to be cleared at 6:30 in the morning you tend not to encounter too many other people.

As for the convertible part, I drove my dad's convertible GT/CS alot last winter as well. I was more careful, seeing as how it wasn't my car and it was more powerful then my car, but it handled it just fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Everyone stop complaining about the stang sucking in bad weather. It is simply untrue. ...
Kids say the darndest things.

If you've never driven a vehicle that's designed for running in deep snow, then yes, the Stang would appear to be decent. It's all relative to what you've experienced. It's easy to say that potatoes are the best food if all you've eaten are potatoes. Eat some lobster and those potatoes now taste like chit.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

If you've never driven a vehicle that's designed for running in deep snow, then yes, the Stang would appear to be decent. It's all relative to what you've experienced. It's easy to say that potatoes are the best food if all you've eaten are potatoes. Eat some lobster and those potatoes now taste like chit.
Well I guess I haven't really driven a vehicle designed for snow, but I have driven a CTS, a Honda Pilot, a focus, an accord, a jeep wrangler, a civic, and a charger in the snow. Perhaps I don't have nearly as much experience as some of the guys on this forum, but I'd like to think that I am not totally ignorant

By the way, I don't care for lobster much, lol.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Experience comes with age. I suppose I have more "experience" than i'd prefer... But the Stang CAN be made managable, just not near as well as a lot of other cars.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

Exactly.

Hell I'm not even old or thoroughly experienced in driving a bunch of different cars, I know enough to know that through comparison the stang sucks in snow. It's all about comparison, when you put the stang in a lineup of cars, compared to most, the stang will fall short in snow comparison tests. Just that simple.

It's like saying, an old jalopy is a great car. Well, yeah if you aren't looking around it'll get you from place to place, and the A-track player can play you some tunes, but as soon as you line it up among other cars you realize that an old jalopy sucks. lol.

Overall though, yes RWD cars are more fun to drive in the snow (:
Old 07-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Bensfoxbody

I drove mine last year... Once. I'd rather not take the risk. Too many idiots and mine was to low for comfort over the ice chunks

Quick Reply: Drive a convertible in winter