Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 5.0 -- Starting on the stereo...PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Grabber5Oh

Default 2011 5.0 -- Starting on the stereo...PICS!

Hello all. New to the forum, and new to a Mustang. About a month ago, I purchased a 2011 Mustang GT...Premium, Brembo, and 3.73's. Still can't think of a better way to spend my money. ;-) Came from a 350Z and I haven't missed it whatsoever.

Gotta have a pic of the car, right!?

Hood scoop and deck spoiler. Had the windows tinted 5% all the way around. Smoked side markers, and chrome turn signal bulbs (got rid of the 'egg yolk' look). Also replaced the dome lights with 6k LED's from V-LEDS, and 5k for the license plate. Next will be exhaust...hard to decide which route to go though!

Anyways, same story...not satisfied with the Mach 500 sound...but love all of it's features, so I am definitely keeping the headunit. I replaced the front and rear 5x7's with Polk Audio dxi570's...huge improvement! Picked them up at Best Buy for $48 per pair. Install was 3 hours total...thanks to the forum! Took my sweet time, used the speaker harnesses...didn't break one clip!

What's funny is that I actually had to turn my bass down on the headunit. It sounds like the Polks don't take it very well I'm at 0 on the level, which seems perfect...but lacking much punch from the 8" subs in the doors. Anyone else experience this? Advice?

Anyways, I purchased the AOEM-FRD24 from PAC to make the install of the amp for my new sub go smoother. Didn't want to tear up the stock harness. I will be installing that and the amp kit this week.

As for now, I was able to come up with a great amp rack in the spare tire area. Since the Brembo package lacks a spare tire, it makes for a good amount of useful space! I also made a custom mount for the OEM air compressor...the styrofoam is bulky and ugly.

Check out the pics and let me know what you think!

Threw some black carpet on it.

I used a hole saw and made some cutouts to allow better flow around the amp.

I used .75" spacers to keep the amp off the rack itself so I can tuck the wired underneath to be hidden.

How I mounted it underneath. It kind of floats but is extremely sturdy. Didn't want to drill any holes in the metal...I was actually able to use existing holes.

Mount for air compressor

Secured, and out of the way! Funnel will clip on electrical mount.

By the way, the amp is a Powerbass XA-1500d...says it supposed to produce 1500w @1ohm. The sub I have is a FI Audio Q12 (LOVE this beast). Going with a sealed encolsure this time...this sub is supposed to love a smaller sealed encolsure (for sound quality). We'll see!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Silver0911
1st Gear Member

Looks like its going to be a nice clean install, should turn out great.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

looking good
Old 07-11-2011, 07:22 AM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

If you don't like how the polks are sounding you could put a 4ch amp on them. They are going to be underpowered from the factory head unit, which will sound worse than overpowering them (more distorted). There shouldn't be much bass coming through the speakers anyway, that is what your sub is for. Install looks like its coming along well.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Grabber5Oh

Originally Posted by TruMac
If you don't like how the polks are sounding you could put a 4ch amp on them. They are going to be underpowered from the factory head unit, which will sound worse than overpowering them (more distorted). There shouldn't be much bass coming through the speakers anyway, that is what your sub is for. Install looks like its coming along well.
Yeah, it's just sad when the new speakers distort under the same amount of bass that the stock ones did not. I wish there was a way to adjust the 8's seperately from the 5x7's.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:50 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rs90808

I also made a custom mount for the OEM air compressor...the styrofoam is bulky and ugly.

Mount for air compressor

Welcome, rs90808! Hey, any other pics of your car? I'd like to see other angles featuring your hood scoop? Thanks.

This car comes with an air compressor? What is it used for? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:53 AM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Run them on their own amp. Or a line out converter that allows you to adjust them separately. Audio control makes a lot of good products that you may want to look into.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

It came with an air compressor and fix-a-flat instead of a spare tire.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TruMac
It came with an air compressor and fix-a-flat instead of a spare tire.
Ahhhhh...I see...thanks TruMac!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Grabber5Oh

Originally Posted by rs90808
Yeah, it's just sad when the new speakers distort under the same amount of bass that the stock ones did not. I wish there was a way to adjust the 8's seperately from the 5x7's.
You know what? I feel like an idiot. I was listening to Sirius today, and it sounded great! Got me thinking...why does my iPod sound so bad? Turns out I had it on the 'Jazz' EQ setting...probably causing the weird bass out of the 5x7's. Problem solved...I take back what i was saying about the Polks...sorry guys!

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 -- Starting on the stereo...PICS!