Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally installed new tires...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Default finally installed new tires...

I finally got around to installing my GT500 take-offs. No pics, was too dark and rained.

I used the stock jack, and notice that the gap in the left rear wheel-well looks a little higher than the right rear wheel-well.

Do the struts need to settle after raising the car?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdg
I finally got around to installing my GT500 take-offs. No pics, was too dark and rained.

I used the stock jack, and notice that the gap in the left rear wheel-well looks a little higher than the right rear wheel-well.

Mine's been like that for a while. Nothing major just a little bit
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

i think its crappy of you to have new rims and not show us...then again im the guy who tinted all my lights and got a blackout panel and a whole new front end and havent posted pics lol
Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Climb into the drivers seat. That should lower the left side to match.... hehehe
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Climb into the drivers seat. That should lower the left side to match.... hehehe
I did, all 172 lbs of me didn't make a difference! Maybe it's just me. Gotta find a REAL flat surface.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdg
...Gotta find a REAL flat surface.
...Let me introduce you to my ex. But I digress.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdg

Did you drive the car before making this observation? Sometimes jacking will leave the car not in its unloaded ride height due to suspension "stiction" and lateral tire scrub issues with the fronts. A front corner that's sitting a bit high will generally have the diagonally opposite corner sitting a little low. Once you roll the car a few feet, this goes away. Just getting in and back out won't do much of anything.

Is this a purely vertical gap that you're seeing or is the axle slightly off center? If the axle is located such that the rear wheels aren't sitting equal in their wells, there can be an optical effect that makes one side's clearance look closer than the other. Best to measure it and check for axle centering.

Norm
Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Did you drive the car before making this observation? Sometimes jacking will leave the car not in its unloaded ride height due to suspension "stiction" and lateral tire scrub issues with the fronts. A front corner that's sitting a bit high will generally have the diagonally opposite corner sitting a little low. Once you roll the car a few feet, this goes away. Just getting in and back out won't do much of anything.

Is this a purely vertical gap that you're seeing or is the axle slightly off center? If the axle is located such that the rear wheels aren't sitting equal in their wells, there can be an optical effect that makes one side's clearance look closer than the other. Best to measure it and check for axle centering.

Norm
Yes, I drove it right after I installed the tires and made this observation. I thought it would lower after driving the vehicle 20 miles.

I'm noticing a vertical gap on the drivers side. At first, I thought it was on an unlevel service. Found a nice flat spot in the parking garage and it still appears to have a gap. I measured it and the drivers side has a more noticible gap.

I'm going to back the left rear tire over a sidewalk curb and see if this helps. Hopefull the added tension will push it back into place.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Problem fixed! I backed each of the rear tires onto a curb and it compressed the stuts enough to reduce the gap withing the wheel-well.

TPMS light has not come on either, very happy!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Pics??

Quick Reply: finally installed new tires...