Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Traction control..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Here's a link to a brief description.

Keep in mind that it's a Mitsubishi site, and as such it carries an agenda and is therefore worded pretty carefully. It's heavy on the fancy sounding adjectives, and very light on actual tech.

I'm looking for a lot more detail and a lot less self-praise.

Norm
Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Locke_03
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
That's only what you'd like it to be telling you, so you wouldn't have to do anything to improve as a driver.

Wrong answer.

This is real life, not GT5, and what your car is trying to tell you is that your throttle has more than just two useful positions and that you need to get used to using all of them (especially in the corners, as you might be beginning to suspect).

Everything else, from engine torque/power through axle gearing to tire choice and condition is just minor details, because ultimately it's up to you to decide how much power you think you can actually use under whatever conditions.

Kind of a long way of saying "Learn how to drive". Learn about something called the "friction circle", it's particularly relevant to the trouble you almost put yourself in.

I've been at this driving thing for 47+ years, and I'm still learning.
Norm
I didn’t give the wrong answer, I gave my answer.

Truth is your right I'm not a great drive nor do I pretend to be that’s why I leave my T/C on.

I had a bad motorcycle accident few years back(9 screws and a plate) so I really don’t push my limits I'm happy just cruising for the most part.

Your right though about learning new things, at some point I would love to enroll in one of the many driving schools we have here So Cal.

Last edited by Locke_03; 07-14-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Locke_03
1st Gear Member

I'm guessing that's an SAE paper, so that might be exactly what it is.

Can you send me a copy? Really. I am that interested.

Norm
Its been a while but I believe I read the document on the top gear website somewhere I'm going to look for it though, it sounds like you know a lot about cars so maybe you can understand it.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:33 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

One of the best, easiest, cheapest, and early on mods to my 'stang was to turn that damn thing off by default.

$2 12v relay
$2 fuse tap
tap the TCS line, run wire, done.

Still leaves it usable should you or anyone else wish to use it, but defaults to off on start-up without fail.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-14-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Locke_03
I didn’t give the wrong answer, I gave my answer.

Truth is your right I'm not a great drive nor do I pretend to be that’s why I leave my T/C on.

I had a bad motorcycle accident few years back(9 screws and a plate) so I really don’t push my limits I'm happy just cruising for the most part.

Your right though about learning new things, at some point I would love to enroll in one of the many driving schools we have here So Cal.
Ouch! glad to hear you were o.k. though and the accident was not worse.
I guess TC can def be a good thing to have.
But if you depend on it... it is a BAD thing to have.
Depending on yourself driving safely foremost is always the best policy.
Although you do want to drive a safe automobile no doubt lol.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Locke_03
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Ouch! glad to hear you were o.k. though and the accident was not worse.
I guess TC can def be a good thing to have.
But if you depend on it... it is a BAD thing to have.
Depending on yourself driving safely foremost is always the best policy.
Although you do want to drive a safe automobile no doubt lol.
Trust me after that accident i dont mess around, i think i gave the wrong impression with my post.

Just thank GOD i was in the Navy, I went through a barb wire fence and off a cliff so I got life flighted out there and went straight to surgery, they say I lost a lot of blood, short story is I almost died for sure. The scariest part was the medical bills can you say $40 grand just for the life flight!!!!! The Navy saved me on that one, had I not been in I would still be paying for the bills!!!

Yeh I'm good now thanks.

Last edited by Locke_03; 07-14-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Locke_03
1st Gear Member

Here's a link to a brief description.

Keep in mind that it's a Mitsubishi site, and as such it carries an agenda and is therefore worded pretty carefully. It's heavy on the fancy sounding adjectives, and very light on actual tech.

I'm looking for a lot more detail and a lot less self-praise.

Norm
here a couple of links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_S-AWC

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48640233/2...ution-Overview

It's not exactly what i read before(the orginal one i saw was almost 12 pages, it may not all have been about the s awc though) but the wiki article seems to be ringing a few bells, enjoy the read.

Last edited by Locke_03; 07-14-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

. . . at some point I would love to enroll in one of the many driving schools we have here So Cal.
Let me suggest taking in an autocross or two. You get to drive your own car and learn how it behaves at speeds essentially the same as much of your street driving. You'll nearly always be in 2nd gear, which will teach you about getting smooth about adding throttle as you exit turns.

I am sorry to hear about your bike accident, made me cringe to read it. I used to ride, up until I tore up both knees in some other activity. Glad to hear you're OK.

I hope you'll pardon my occasional bluntness, which has the greatest tendency to show up in discussions involving various driver "assistances". The way I see it, they're either going to step in when I'm not expecting them to and give me a surprise that I don't need, or they're going to keep me from learning to recognize when I'm getting a bit too close to my limits.

In the first case, if a passenger ever actively interfered with my driving by grabbing the steering wheel or the P-brake - they'd probably get backhanded and tossed out of the car as soon as I could get it stopped.

In the second, if I've botched my corner entry or the line through it, I want the car to let me know that I've screwed up some (IOW, if it "felt" like I did it wrong, I probably did do it wrong). What I DON'T want is for some electronic nanny to make me feel like a hero for pulling off some nutty piece of clumsiness anyway. In the long run, that's just trouble looking for a time & place to land.

Hell, I don't even like clutch interlock switches.

Norm
Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

here a couple of links
Thanks for the links. The wiki one comes up OK here on the office computer, but the other one comes up all distorted so I'll have to try later at home.

Some of the developments that are beyond basic TC and ESC are pretty scary to people like me who learned to drive on cars that had no mechanical/hydraulic/electronic assistances whatsoever (not even power assisted steering or brakes). Expect to see some threads about something called "Active Nibble Control" once people start having trouble with it (it's tied in with the newer EPAS systems, and I think there already is a TSB for the GT500's concerning it). I even have a paper that discusses GPS in the context of stability control system uses. (now where did I put those wire cutters ).

Norm
Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
if you find it plz post a link (well only if its interesting)
I was able to get to this from Locke's wiki link. I haven't had a chance to do any more than scan through it very quickly. Your call as far as 'interesting' goes.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...006/18e_03.pdf

Norm

Quick Reply: Question about Traction control..