Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helphelphelp, urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Default Helphelphelp, urgent!

So I decided today to go out and paint the interior of my car. All the plastic pieces, door panels, etc.

I started out with some spray model paint. The enamel type, I was told it would be perfect since it's designed for plastic.

After about 2-3 coats of it, it just looked like crap. It was spoltchy, and dull.
So I ran back to the store and bought some Krylon Indoor/Outdoor paint, and a clear Acrylic coating.

I've got a couple coats of the Krylon on, and it looks much better. And about 4-5 coats of the Acrylic coating.
My problem now is that it's scratching extremely easy, since the door is made out of the weird rubbery stuff.

What do I do to keep it from scratching???? I've got about 5 hours to get this finished up, and I need it done asasp.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:45 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
So I decided today to go out and paint the interior of my car. All the plastic pieces, door panels, etc.

I started out with some spray model paint. The enamel type, I was told it would be perfect since it's designed for plastic.

After about 2-3 coats of it, it just looked like crap. It was spoltchy, and dull.
So I ran back to the store and bought some Krylon Indoor/Outdoor paint, and a clear Acrylic coating.

I've got a couple coats of the Krylon on, and it looks much better. And about 4-5 coats of the Acrylic coating.
My problem now is that it's scratching extremely easy, since the door is made out of the weird rubbery stuff.

What do I do to keep it from scratching???? I've got about 5 hours to get this finished up, and I need it done asasp.
LET IT DRY COMPLETELY!!!!!! I cant stress that enough and trust me bro I know from experience. I once painted something for 4 hours (2 hour dry time) and I went to pick it up and got my finer prints all over it. In a rage I just smashed it and ended up having to buy a new one, but I got so mad that I wasted all that time for nothing. When I did my symbols around my car I did 3 coats of krylon primer, 3-4 coats of krylon paint, and 1 even coat of clear. I than let it dry over night in my boiler room (any hot area will do) after letting it bake in the sun and when I went go install them on the car everything was fine
Old 07-17-2011, 12:47 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I've been reading and see that people have all kinds of problems with the paint sticking to the interior. So even if I do let it dry, will I still have the problems of this stuff just scratching and flaking off?
I'm tempted to go buy some super thick spray coating to go on over it. The door panels sitting out in the sun now baking.

Also,
does anyone know how to get the stupid door handle out of it's box?
I read something about drilling rivets.
I don't wanna do anything like that, hah.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm sure that there's something special that you need to prime the surface with before painting...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Probably.
I'll probably wind up just stripping the entire panel and starting over.
Woooooooooo.
So now I get to ride around with a chitty door panel for a few days.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you want to paint important parts and make it last, doing so without priming is not a very smart idea.
Sounds like you kinda jumped into it without doing real research.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:44 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

You need adhesion promoter for plastic parts. primer works best on metal. If you primer plastic without adhesion promoter it will just flake off later on.

You should def stip all the painting you did, start with adhesion promoter then finish off with 2 or 3 LIGHT coats. Don't sag the paint on there. Make sure you prep the panels right. Prep work is everything. Good luck
Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Plastic interior material is not user friendly and because of that, prone to reaction even with rattle can.
Spray the first coat (even primer) too heavy and it's a mess from here.
The plastic they use gets very soft and will melt under heavy coat because it'll stay wet too long.
Paint has reducer in it and that will eat soft plastic.
The quicker it dries, the faster those solvents will evaporate and soft plastics like that.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Man sorry your gonna have to clean up that mess.
I admit I'd be a pissed off ****.

But at least you know from now on to do real research instead of just what kind of paint to use or what part to use and then jumping into a project blindfolded.
Live and learn bro.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Enamel in spray cans is a bad idea anyway...
It's very easy to get fisheyes with that crap and once you get them they won't go away.
You have to stop everything until it dries enough for sanding, which is the next day.

Quick Reply: Helphelphelp, urgent!