Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendation please (replacing BFG KDWS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Tire recommendation please (replacing BFG KDWS)

I'm on my second set of BFG KDWS (factory tires), and the only thing I like about them is the price (I got them for $89 each a couple years ago, although right now they appear to be around $170).

Any recommendations for a different all-weather tire? I'd love to spend less than $100, but maybe $150 is more realistic. If I had to, I'd go $200, but they'd have to have some significant advantage over the KDWS.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Do you drive in the winter (colder weather means less grip with summer-only tires)? Are you an aggressive driver? Track? There are a lot of variables but in your price range you'll be limited. I assume you're sticking with the stock size but depending on which wheels you have you could go wider.

Have you checked sites like tirerack and researched tires in your size, performance category and price range? The OE BFG's were a decent "granny" style of driving tire for the money but they didn't hook up for me worth chit.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

I have had great success with Michelin Pilot A/S for many years with different cars. It's a lot better than any of the BFG. Right now, tirerack has a special on them. Check it out.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

My Eagle GTs do a great job.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Any of the top three tires are getting generally better reviews, but they may not all come in 235/50. You could upsize to 255/45 as an alternative and your current wheels would still be wide enough.

I have the Michelin A/S+ on the Subaru for the half year that includes winter and they do seem to be a very good tire you could use year round as long as the winters aren't too severe (for that, you probably should go to a set of dedicated winter tires).

Norm
Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Maybe a stupid comparison, but how do these top tires compare to having the new Nitto DR's on your back tires for everyday driving and grip when you decide to test your car against others on the road?

I have had the Nitto 555's not the DR's and they did not grip NEAR enough for me.
I want something that grips GOOD but that will still function for me in the rain and fairly cold weather safely if I drive safe.

I wont be driving the car in freezing weather anyways but I really don't know what to get to both quench my grip thirst and be able to drive them every day.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

In that specific comparison, not so good. Not as long as the DR's are fresh, anyway. But after one hot summer's worth of driving, there won't be nearly as much difference.

The really grippy DOT-labelled race tires lose some of their grip as they go through heat-up and cool-down cycles. Some faster than others. Even "regular" summer performance tires do, but at a much slower rate.

It sounds like you're looking for something that falls midway between the 555 and the 555R. Other than the NT-05 that's probably closer to the 555 end of your scale, there isn't much in Nitto's lineup.

The only other possibility might be one of the autocross "Street Touring" tires like the Dunlop Star-Specs or the Falken RT615's (there are others that I don't recall offhand, some of which are grippier than the ones I did remember). I don't know of any "halfway" sort of tire aimed at the drag-race market, but I do know that these tires will grip hard enough under hard braking at autocross to surprise you. I expect the same to be true for acceleration, as long as you don't shock them too hard.

These tires are closer to midway between "normal" summer performance tires and "R-compound" DOT tires. They will cope with wet driving quite well, but I don't think I'd choose to be on them with temperatures in the 30°F's. And they will heat cycle out on you, if you insist on running up the number of street driven miles. Just not as fast as DOT race rubber.

Norm
Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Just to add a little, my GY Asymmetrics aren't nearly as grippy down around 40°F as they are at 65°F and above either. When it's that cool, the rear tires are particularly sensitive to accelerating from a stop while turning at an intersection that you had to stop for.

Norm
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
I have had great success with Michelin Pilot A/S for many years with different cars. It's a lot better than any of the BFG. Right now, tirerack has a special on them. Check it out.
They're $199 each right now at Tire Rack, so maybe the sale is over?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Any of the top three tires are getting generally better reviews, but they may not all come in 235/50. You could upsize to 255/45 as an alternative and your current wheels would still be wide enough.

I have the Michelin A/S+ on the Subaru for the half year that includes winter and they do seem to be a very good tire you could use year round as long as the winters aren't too severe (for that, you probably should go to a set of dedicated winter tires).

Norm
Good info - thanks.

I notice The Pirellis P-Zero Nero are rated fairly high, and are fairly reasonably priced. Anyone have any opinions on those? I believe they are factory tires with the 2011 GT now?

Last edited by richmod; 07-21-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendation please (replacing BFG KDWS)