Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best CAI???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 PM
livewr06
1st Gear Member

I have a Steeda CAI with a BAMA performance tune and love it. The pull at higher revs is amazing.
With my Flowmasters, Steeda guessed 40HP gain with all three.
I have a K&N on my F150 and love that too.
I've heard that just the CAI will add 14 HP.
Good luck. You should be happy with any of the above choices and it's a simple install.
BTW, my Steeda air box seals against the hood.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by livewr06
I have a Steeda CAI with a BAMA performance tune and love it. The pull at higher revs is amazing.
With my Flowmasters, Steeda guessed 40HP gain with all three.
I'll have what they're smokin'... They guessed, alright. They should know better.

You get ZERO gain from the Flowmasters. And the best you can get from the CAI & tune on the 4.6L is 25-28 RWHP. And that 28 is if the tune is borderline dangerous.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shonole
Hmmm.. My C&L racer fits great. I wonder if I just got lucky. That Saleen is sexy though!
Keep an eye on the bottom of your filter man, if it starts rubbing against the heat sheild it will put a hole in it. I'm on my second filter and have dicked with it quite a bit to get it right.
I f'in knew I was in trouble when I saw zip-ties in the box
Homebrew POS if you ask me.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by livewr06
I've heard that just the CAI will add 14 HP....
On what vehicle? Not on the S197, not on your life. A stand-alone CAI on an S197 gains about 3-5 RWHP. And don't be surprised if it throws a CEL for running lean. Our PCM's with the stock tune simply can't manage additional air flow.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 PM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Keep an eye on the bottom of your filter man, if it starts rubbing against the heat sheild it will put a hole in it. I'm on my second filter and have dicked with it quite a bit to get it right.
I f'in knew I was in trouble when I saw zip-ties in the box
Homebrew POS if you ask me.
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I was zip-ties, I was like WTF? And this cost me HOW much?

And damn, I'm going out to check mine right now.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

unfortunately, I cant use the saleen unit because my car is a 4.0 V6 and the saleen piping isnt compatible with the 4.0 unit. I mean I could theoretically use the stock air pipe but that invites fitment issues between the CAI and the pipe. I would use Saleen if I could because I trust them, my dads saleen is a boss, but I cant

So throwing C&L out, that leaves the FRPP unit and the steeda unit, and potentually the JLT unit. I know im beating it to death, but I want to make sure I get a good product for my baby, an emotion im sure all of you understand Tho what im hearing now is you cant go wrong with FRPP or Steeda
Old 07-30-2011, 10:28 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

You got a coin flip there bud. Both are excellent units, go with whichever visualy appeals the most.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I don't know what these guys are talking about when it comes to the JLT, I love my it! And when it comes to a CAI it's basically whichever looks the best to you, you're not going to net much of a difference if any between the leading brands so pick your favorite for whatever you like visually.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 PM
livewr06
1st Gear Member

I was under the impression that aftermarket mufflers helped the engine breath a little easier. Guess I was misled. But only 3-5 HP with a CAI? Thought it was more than that. The K&N I put on my truck claimed the 14HP and higher with dual exhaust but I don't want to change Stags' thread either, one will be enjoyable!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:41 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The OE exhaust on the S197's; both the GT and V6; flow extremely well for factory systems.

CAI's on other vehicles will tend to yield a few more RWHP but with todays computer-controlled engines, there's not much legroom in the programming for the control modules to adapt and make use of the added air flow. They'll keep pumping insufficient amounts of fuel until reprogrammed to do otherwise. And those advertised gains?... Best to take them all with a grain of salt. The 14 hp gain you saw was likely either fabricated OR it's a crank HP # obtained in the lab under ideal conditions with some fiddling with the operating parameters. Most advertised HP gains will NEVER be seen in real life conditions. But, throw a good tune in with that CAI and you're back to seeing about 15 or so RWHP on the Pony; about 20 or so RWHP on the GT.

Last edited by Nuke; 07-31-2011 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Best CAI???