Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best CAI???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Best CAI???

Hey guys-

So im looking to pull the trigger on a CAI+ Tune combo from AM as soon as I see the sale for next month... I just want y'alls input.

I am cosmetically attracted to the FRPP kit. Although The JLT claims 10-14 HP gains and the Steeda kit claims 20 HP gains... And I am attracted to those numbers

What do you think ill realistically get from the CAI and bama tune? And which will give me the most power?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:03 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

* the FRPP kit claims a hp gain, but with no number assosciated.

This is for a 2009 V6 Pony Package Manual
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

From what I've been told (asking the same question as you are now), there is no 20HP gain from the CAI..it's overly exaggerated.
They said at best you'll get 14.

I've heard the C&L is great,
but I've also been told to go with whatever kit they have on sale this month (The J&L).
Personally, I plan on doing either C&L or JLT.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Best WHAT??? Price? Construction? Quality?

A CAI by itself won't gain you squat unless you retune. And the FRPP CAI requires a tune or you'll throw a code for running lean.

All of the CAI's are equivalent when parred with a tune. It's the tune that's the bulk of the power gainer. On your Pony, you'll see about 15-18, maybe more, RWHP with a quality tune and CAI combo.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:56 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I have a specific reason for looking at the FRPP CAI

Although I know there is debate/ conflict over the benefits of ram air. I believe I can engineer ductwork under the cervinis type iv hood to channel air into the airbox oncluded in the FRPP kit. Im estimating maybe 100 for a do it yourself project on that one. But from what I can see the FRPP kit has a solid plastic airbox that seals to the underside of the hood and is designed to only take in air from the front headlight area. Shouldnt be too hard to shape a buffer that will fit flush to the underside of the hood and force air to the FRPP box, and bolt it to the radiator cover.

Was planning on picking up a CAI + Tuner combo from AM. tune importance is acknowledged.

Soo the primary reason I want the FRPP kit is to use that box, which I have yet to see on another CAI kit. But I figured it was prolly best to ask y'all your opinions in the event that there was another drastically better CAI or a catastrophic flaw with the FRPP kit

On a side note, while the box takes priority I like the tubing from the JLT or C&L... anything out there like that which would work with the FRPP box?

Ive also debated the WMS high velocity kit w tune, but If I ever went FI that would just wind up in a trash bin
Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Best CAI huh?....Well I know which one you can take out of the debate, the c&l racer. I purchased it with my tuner and am not happy with it at all, fit is for sh&t. When I do it over again next spring, I will definately go with this:
http://www.brenspeed.com/10-1602-a180060.html

As for the hp claims, I wouldn't get that worked up about those (like I did), and the ram air idea while cool in concept probably will yield no hp gains.

my top 3...
Saleen extreme
Steeda
Ford Racing
Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

I have a JLT 2 and I wouldnt buy it again so go with a Steeda or Saleen
Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I did the FRPP CAI simply because the filter is not one of those types you clean and re-oil.. I've done those off road, they only keep out large rocks, as dust goes right through... Seat of the pants with tune was worth price of admission.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The ram air idea is good inconcept but ill-fated in reality. You can't push any more air into the engine then what it can ingest. The engine is limited by everything after the TB.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:39 PM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Best CAI huh?....Well I know which one you can take out of the debate, the c&l racer. I purchased it with my tuner and am not happy with it at all, fit is for sh&t. When I do it over again next spring, I will definately go with this:
http://www.brenspeed.com/10-1602-a180060.html

As for the hp claims, I wouldn't get that worked up about those (like I did), and the ram air idea while cool in concept probably will yield no hp gains.

my top 3...
Saleen extreme
Steeda
Ford Racing
Hmmm.. My C&L racer fits great. I wonder if I just got lucky. That Saleen is sexy though!

Quick Reply: Best CAI???