Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinion on CAI and exhaust combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 PM
drace99

Default opinion on CAI and exhaust combo

I am looking to see if anyone has done this combo... JLT CAI WITH SF3 Tune and Flowmaster American Thunder Axle back exhaust...this is what I am thinking of for my 2007 GT convertible. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

That's the tune/cai and exhaust I'm thinking about going with for my v6..(Just singles though).

From what I've heard, the Am thunders are pretty good, (although not quite as nice as Borlas, etc.) I'd look up youtube clips of the different types of axlebacks and see which sound you like best.

Price wise, they are pretty good too.

As for the CAI/Tune, (I believe they were on sale on Americanmuscle, but that might have just been for july?). I've heard good things about the pack. I'll be going with that, or C&L.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 PM
redfire05gt
2nd Gear Member

Well what kind of sound are you looking for? IMO the Flowmasters don't sound all that great on our cars. But definately but the trigger with the JLT CAI with the tuner. I just got mine in today and wow, a night and day difference.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Whose tunes are you buying?

I'm not a fan of the Flowmasters on our S197's either. And whichever exhaust you pick, it'll only be for sound, NOT performance.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 PM
redfire05gt
2nd Gear Member

Nuke that tuner comes with Bama tunes for free so idk I doubt he will be buying other tunes right off the bat...

But I have pype bombs on my 05 GT and I absolutely love them.

Here's a video it's recorded with a terrible camera...trust me it does no justice at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-h0kri8rCE
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM
drace99

Default another opinion

How about the pypes violator axle back instead of the flowmaster...I just dont want it to be too loud.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

The SF3 comes with 3 tunes from SCT. It also has room for 3 custom tunes. The SCT tunes are decent, and the SF3 has pre-built canned settings for the major CAI on the market (except FRPP for some reason)

@OP, that is a decent entry level tune/CAI. You'll feel some gains, but you really need custom tunes to get the max performance.

As far as mufflers, yeah. Avoid the Crapmasters. You'll regret them. I've had a few on my car

Pypes Deletes - sound wicked with the factory cats and H. Tiny bit loud. But not overbearing. I recommend

FRPP GTB - louder than the stock GT muffler, but still 50 state legal. They sing at WOT, and sound nice around town. I liked them, but wasn't quite loud enough

FRPP Stingers - fricken loud. They set off alarms in parking lots. Love them. But with my LT and OR/H, they are too much.

Considering price and sound, I would recommend the Pypes Deletes. They sound great and are cheap, and nice looking. The FRPP Stingers are another option, but more money of course.

If you intend to run LT's in the future, I'd actually keep the stocker mufflers. LT and OR/H really makes things loud. I'm going back to my GTB's this week because the Stingers are so damn loud.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I luv my violators
They were a pita to get on straight, but the sound more than makes up for the trouble. I got the C&L racer with my combo, and would tell you to select another intake. Fit is for sh^t!
I would go with the ford racing or steeda for sure.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

You'll get different opinions from everyone. As far as exhaust, watch Youtube videos...they don't do the sound justice, but if you keep coming back to something, then chances are it's what you want...and it will be even better in person, much better.

As far as CAI and Tune...same ordeal. I don't have either yet, so I can't help, but I know from experience here that all brands and models are represented and will be pushed when you make threads like these...good luck with the choices.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

BOOMTUBE CREW FTW!

But seriously... its an awesome sounding piece and it is cheap too.... 330 at AM I believe

Quick Reply: opinion on CAI and exhaust combo