Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMFG SOMEONE HELP WITH TUNING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Exclamation OMFG SOMEONE HELP WITH TUNING!!!!

As some of you may know from my other threads I am looking to ditch my mail order tune and get the car dyno tuned. I have now narrowed it down to 2 shops that are great and both have experience with stangs with an m90 blower. The shops are Sansone Ford (Kevin Hand from Wicked Motorsports), and Krazy house customs. Both are nicely located 30-40 mins from me but both offer different tuning which is what I need help with!!!!!

Kevin Hand @ Sansone Ford (Wicked Motorsports) wants $600 to tune the car, but does a dyno tune, as well as take the car out and do ON ROAD TUNING WHILE DRIVING IT. He has no problem tuning for the boost a pump and has never had a problem with one. He needs the car for a day and a half (drop it off monday morning and have it back tuesday afternoon) as he does cold starts, part throttle, and everything else to make sure the car is running 10000000% correctly and safetly the way it should be. He also does emissions tuning which is good for when my inspection is up in november.

Krazy house customs on the other hand wants $400 for a dyno tune (they use a mustang dyno), but they WILL NOT tune for a boost a pump and only suggest I use the gt500 fuel system because they dont like the fact of overpowering the stock fuel pump. They are able to get me in at the end of next week and I can have the car back the same day. I know the owner as he comes to my local tuesday night meets and is very knowledgeable about almost any car. His tuner for mustangs name is Jimmy Larocca (used to own a shop called laroccas performance in NJ) and is very knowledgeable but most say he is an old school tuner and they is why he only tunes for the gt500 fuel pumps. I know of a person selling gt500 fuel pumps and is only looking to get $400 for them and I can just return my BAP to brenspeed.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

If they both have the same rep, or you can't find any negative about either, I'd go with #1. Unless #2 can show me some concrete proof of failure on the BAP or stock pump. Over-driving pumps is common in many industries. This pump was picked because it provided the correct amount of pressure/gph @12v. Doesn't mean it was never intended to go beyond 12v. Just don't drive around on empty overworking your pump. Keep some gas in there to keep it cool.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
If they both have the same rep, or you can't find any negative about either, I'd go with #1. Unless #2 can show me some concrete proof of failure on the BAP or stock pump. Over-driving pumps is common in many industries. This pump was picked because it provided the correct amount of pressure/gph @12v. Doesn't mean it was never intended to go beyond 12v. Just don't drive around on empty overworking your pump. Keep some gas in there to keep it cool.
Krazy house (#2) said they didnt want it on their back if a BAP failed and my motor blew in the winter or whatever. Is it a common thing for some tuners to street tune their cars as well as on the dyno? Sansone (#1) is the first I am hearing of this "street tuning" and am a little skeptical, but everyone that had been tuned by him lovessssssssss his tunes and says it drives like from the factory and retains all driveability. Also Sansone (#1) works on strictly ford vehicles and they are located in a ford dealership (go figure that one lol). I just want the best possible tune and everything to work together perfectly and not run into any problems down the road AT ALL.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I've never heard of a tuner not wanting to do a tune cause of a BAP. I'd not go to them for sure.

As far as leaving my car with a tuner. F that also. This whole cold start checking thing, yeah I don't think so and it would be the first I've heard of that. Think about it for a second. He cold starts the car, it gets with'n operating temps in 3 minutes. Then what? He's done. Sounds like a ploy to me. Nothing is going to change in the tune at cold start up vs fully warmed.

Now the driveability is good. At least if he starts messing with throttle items. That is where he will get most of his information and possible wrenches being thrown. However, that is something he could do on the dyno if he wanted to. But my tuner also likes to drive it on the road for a couple miles just to watch the data logs. I drive, he monitors his numbers.

As far as a guarantee, NO TUNE is ever guaranteed to not blow up your car. So don't even think it would be for a second.

Anyways, #1 would be my choice if I HAD to choose between the two.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I really dont like leaving my car with the tuner either. Even if he did want cold start info, why can he just have it done in a full day?

I am thinking about just getting the gt500 pumps and having Krazy house customs #2 do it. Atleast my car will be in and out in one day and I can watch the process

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 08-05-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Well first you should do everyone a favor and instead of stacking your list of mods, put them side by side. Then those of us with small screens don't have to scroll 2 pages in order to reply and help you...

Then, he doesn't need it for a full day. He's only saying that so he can get to it at his leisure. I have only heard of one other shop here local in Tampa that had the same request. And it's for the the same reason. They want to get to it when they can. So by him saying he wants to check all these different scenarios is garbage.

Cold start data logs is going to be the same as a start up after 2 hours of driving... The tune isn't going to change and the only real numbers that will change are you IAT. Which doesn't really matter.

Most will do a base run, tune the car until they think it's good to go. Jump in for a joy ride or at least do a driveability on the dyno running through each RPM range. Then call it good. 3 Hours is about right.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:20 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

What did I miss? What happened to jdm? I would not do either of your suggested tuners. I would get an email tune from jdm, vmp or brenspeed to name three. A dyno tune is not the end all saving grace of the mustang. Loads of people me included are running email tunes and our cars run fine. Your setup is not so exotic as to be a must have dyno tune. You don't even have cams. I have nearly 50 runs down the 1320 since my blower install on an email tune since November and my car runs amazing and is totally safe.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I had bad experience with JDM... So I'd choose VMP, Brens, then JDM if I were to do an email tune.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Sorry I have been trying to get to re-doing my sig. I know a few people that have went to Kevin hand #1 and love his tunes and had no problem leaving the car with him. I am really just confused. JDM wont tune for the BAP either and wanted me to get the gt500 fuel system, which is why I bought a bap and am looking to get a dyno tune else where. 808 are you running a bap or gt500 fuel system? JDM also told me they dont have availability until sept. 13 but might have to push it back even further since Jim Sr. is having surgery which again I really dont want to have to wait that long.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I am considering getting the gt500 pumps, having JDM update my mail order tune and then if I feel it still needs changes, just keep my dyno tune appointment for sept. 13 and have them do it than.

Quick Reply: OMFG SOMEONE HELP WITH TUNING!!!!