Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starting problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

It can make a clicking sound at times,
I'm assuming that's the starter.

As for floorboards,
no.

My door sills were wet on the inside?
But i'm pretty sure my floorboards weren't.
I'll have the alternator checked out tomorrow just in case.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Door sills? I think those were included in the TSB, you just need new updated stripping for the windows I think. Other than the floorboards, the window weather stripping or whatever was included in the possible water leak areas.

EDIT: Yeah I checked the TSB to be sure, and near the bottom it lists the window weather stripping/seals as possible weak spots.

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...LOOR-AREA.html

Last edited by aaquib1992; 08-08-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 AM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
But if he had a fully charged batter and trys to start the car and it sputters it cant be the alternator. The alternator only starts charging the battery once its already started. The battery would be dead when he went to go get it tested if the alternator was bad, because while the car was running it wouldnt be recharging it.
The battery only starts the car, and the alternator only gradually recharges the battery. If the the alternator isn't generating any electricity then the spark plugs will not fire.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Another question,
I bought the car from the dealership almost 2 months ago. If this something I should be looking at having them fix? I'm not sure if I had a limited 30/60/90 day warranty or what.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:07 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Was it preowned certified? If so, then they usually give you some kind of warranty or extension. When I got mine, it was certified so they gave me a small dealer warranty on top of the existing factory warranty.

Call and ask, they might be nice enough to help you out or maybe you still have original warranty left over...
Old 08-08-2011, 02:36 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xenocide
The battery only starts the car, and the alternator only gradually recharges the battery. If the the alternator isn't generating any electricity then the spark plugs will not fire.
Uhm. Wut? It will draw fine from the battery alone if everything is copacetic. You just end up a ways down the road with a dead battery should the alternator truly completely quit.

TSB f'ing the SJB as suggested due to the rain, or something else electrical, as you state the car is sputtering after it's started as well, yes? Rules out starter solenoid does it not?

It could still be the alternator, should it just be intermittently having issues. Charging up the battery for your test fine, but being crap yesterday before you shut it off, leaving the battery partially charged, and it struggling at the next start-up.

I'd really just bring this back into the dealer and let them diagnose it at this stage. They really should be backing this so early in the purchase.

Originally Posted by kput
Another question,
I bought the car from the dealership almost 2 months ago. If this something I should be looking at having them fix? I'm not sure if I had a limited 30/60/90 day warranty or what.
Emphatically...YES. This is a base issue with the car, not something you could have induced. Don't let them off the hook for this one. If it is that TSB, they should be responsible for fixing it. Even the alternator IMO, might technically be out of warranty, but there's no way that just now started on the path to FUBAR, and I would hold them to backing this car if they expect your business(or anyone else you know's) later.

Last edited by wayne613; 08-08-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Check the cowling drain grommets...I am betting they are plugged an some water came in the cabin filter...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

FYI

The water entering via the cabin filter due to the grommets being plugged bypasses the SJB. Any water leak issue that causes electircal problems is due to the upper cowl leak or any other leak from above that drips down inside the passenger kickpanel.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:21 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by kput
Another question,
Hi kput,

If your Mustang is Certified Pre-Owned, it has a 3 month/3,000 mile comprehensive limited warranty from the time of sale. I recommend contacting your dealer for diagnosis. Let me know if I can help with anything.

~Natasha

Last edited by FordService; 08-11-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

It was bought from a Mazda dealer so its not ford dealership. I took it by the auto store and had them check out the alternator as well. Verything checked out perfectly. It is not sputtering after it starts. Only when I'm turning the key (or pressing the button in this case).

As for the water are you saying the issue could be due to the water coming in the door sill?

Quick Reply: Car starting problems..