Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starting problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've not heard of the water leak causing starting issues but the water leak associated with and described in the TSB runs down the inside of the passenger kickpanel from above the SJB. Frequent "wetting" of the SJB eventually causes corrosion and tracking resulting in electrical gremlins. Check your carpet at the base of the kickpanel after a good hard rain. The issue is most notorious on the '05s and '06s but also occurs on later S197's.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
Verything checked out perfectly. It is not sputtering after it starts. Only when I'm turning the key (or pressing the button in this case).
I'd think it was the starter itself then, as my guess. In any case I'd take it back to the dealer ASAP before you do get a "sorry, it's not our problem". Worst case is they have to take it somewhere else to have it fixed on their nickel. But at least it won't be on yours.

If your install of the button was the issue it wouldn't be working at all. Let them know what you've already done (diagnosed battery/alternator) and let the tech start 'er up and explain this to them.

Last edited by wayne613; 08-08-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Alright well here's an update.

After playing with it a bit (starting it over and over), I've kinda got it down to a pattern. (Kinda, not really.)

If I start the car, then run it for a short time, turn it off, then start it up again immediately, it starts perfectly fine. (2 out of 5 times).

If I go awhile without it running, then start it, it sputters and the electronics flicker, then it finally starts.

I think I'll go out and take a video then post it up.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Went out and took a video.

On this one, the car actually starts as :12. (I would suggest putting headphones in, sound quality isn't the best.)
Notice the lights (speedometer) don't actually come on until I flip the headlight switch....

The next start was perfect. started up with no problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=getof6U1quk
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
FYI

The water entering via the cabin filter due to the grommets being plugged bypasses the SJB. Any water leak issue that causes electircal problems is due to the upper cowl leak or any other leak from above that drips down inside the passenger kickpanel.
I stand corrected...after looking it wouldnt get to the SJB unless one was parked on a slant to the right...I am just sticking with my **** standard and just never get my car wet!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Anyone know what the problem could be from my description and that video?
Everything tested out perfectly at Autozone (battery, voltage, starter, alternator, etc.)
And it starts fine after 3-4 starts in a row...
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

My battery died the 2nd time a few months ago during winter. Took the battery to autozone. Battery tested good but battery would not hold a charge. Got it swapped out. No issues since. Did the car have issues starting after the battery was fully charged?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

They didn't actually charge it, just texted. So I don't know.

ALTHOUGH, I think I figured out the problem.
When the problem first arose, was right after I got gas. I got gas, drove 20 miles, then turned her off.
That's when the problem started.

I'm thinking I got some bad gas (water floats right? gas station's tank got low, I got some water in there.)
I filled up earlier and put some fuel injector cleaner in her.
I'm hoping when I start her up in the morning, all will be well.

makes sense right?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

If I suspected water in the gas, I would use a product that contains isopropyl alcohol, such as Iso-HEET. I've heard it is better than plain HEET, which does not contain isopropyl alcohol.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I don't think your problem is water in the gasoline. That wouldn't cause your lights to flicker. I think your problem is probably moisture related and somewhere in the electrical system.
You mentioned that you recently installed a push-button start and for 2 weeks, didn't have any issues with it. I'd review all of those connections and make sure that they're tight. If the battery, alternator, starter and solenoid all test out OK, then the problem could simply be that the starter is not getting enough voltage--and that can be caused by a loose connection somewhere--which also may have been effected by the moisture.

Quick Reply: Car starting problems..