Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaky brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Default Creaky brakes?

Well my brakes have always been kind of odd. They sometimes make strange noises, like when I throw the car in reverse and try and back down my driveway. It sounds like the brakes are shuttering and squealing. When I push down on the brake pedal, they kind of creak. The worst of it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear wheel. They also dust like crazy. Like, I just detail my car and 3 days later the wheels are all nasty. Anyways, so this creaky noise, like when you sit down on an old worn out couch, keeps bugging me. I really have no idea what to do about it. Do you think it's just the pads or rotors? Or is it something else?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

What condition are the rotors and pads in? Could you be hearing the wear indicator? If not and they appear to be in good condition, you could apply some anti-squeak for the pads and see if that helps.

Don
Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

It's not the wear indicator I don't think, but they have been doing this since I got the car around 15 months ago, and the sound has remained constant (hasn't changed at all in loudness or tone). Supposedly my brakes had about "30% life" left 4-5 months ago. I plan on getting some Hawk brake pads soon anyways, but I was wondering if anyone had a better idea.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
It's not the wear indicator I don't think, but they have been doing this since I got the car around 15 months ago, and the sound has remained constant (hasn't changed at all in loudness or tone). Supposedly my brakes had about "30% life" left 4-5 months ago. I plan on getting some Hawk brake pads soon anyways, but I was wondering if anyone had a better idea.

Hi MustangFirstCar,

I'm unable to provide tips on diagnosing your brake noise, as I'm not a technician, but if you are unable to determine the cause, I recommend visiting your dealer. They are in the best position to diagnose your Mustang. I also wanted to make sure you are aware that there is a current promotion for a free brake inspection. You can find the details here. Have a great day!
~Natasha
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I get the same kinda noise on my car!
I got my car from the dealer about 2 months ago, and I assume they put new pads on (although I'm not completely sure).
But I definitely have the squeaking when reversing downhill, and occasionally forward. (Not very often,)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi MustangFirstCar,

I'm unable to provide tips on diagnosing your brake noise, as I'm not a technician, but if you are unable to determine the cause, I recommend visiting your dealer. They are in the best position to diagnose your Mustang. I also wanted to make sure you are aware that there is a current promotion for a free brake inspection. You can find the details here. Have a great day!
~Natasha
Thanks for the links, Natasha. I sure hope you mean my FORD dealer, by the way, hehehe. The OTHER one might get a bit annoyed if I walked into his shop and asked for a brake inspection, LOL!

Does anyone have any brakepad recommendations, btw?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I just went with regular ceramic pads, such as from autozone. That was what was recommended by my shop guy at the time. I was advised that for normal driving conditions, they are fine. If I was racing at the strip, then I would of definitely went with something else. Haven't had any issues to date.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I'm really leaning towards the HPS pads. People seem to really like them. If not, I will probably just go with some regular ceramics like Alkemist said.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Akebono ceramics are nice. I haven't been all too impressed with Raybestos over the last few years and IMO (and experience) the Autozone pads are crap.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

well i did hawk pads and sloted rotors and ss braded lines at the same time, but great wear so far on the hawk pads. no noise, hardly any dust at all and great stoping power. highly recomend them.

Quick Reply: Creaky brakes?