Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking from drivers side dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
frodin1

Default Clicking from drivers side dash

09 GT/CA, I have a loud clicking noise coming from the dash when I go to start the engine. I've read a number of different things, A/C relay being one, and the blend door actuator, is sounding most likely. I was just wondering if there's a TSB or recall on this issue that anyone knows of? I just picked this car up last week, "God I hope this is it for the bugs"
Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Do you have any hesitation when starting? Or does it come straight to life.

I've heard clicking (from the starter, or spark plugs I'm guessing) when it struggles to start.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 AM
frodin1

No hesitation. Just the clicking for about 5 seconds and it stops. Its loud though, totally sounds like a gear clicking. everything was fine the other day and now it does it every time I get in the car. Other than that everything is perfect.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hi frodin1,

I recommend that your vehicle be inspected by your local dealer to determine the cause of your clicking. With this being such a new-to-you Mustang, you definitely want to make sure everything is functioning correctly. Please let me know if I can help in any way!

~Natasha
Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

people come on to these boards so they don't have to go to the expensive dealer.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ironh19
people come on to these boards so they don't have to go to the expensive dealer.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I agree assuming it is not under warranty. As an 09', it might still be. If it is, bring it in to them to get them to back what is being sold, and of course make them fix it right. Milk warranty work while you can for anything IMO.

Originally Posted by frodin1
clicking for about 5 seconds and it stops. Its loud though, totally sounds like a gear clicking.
Does this sound like it's coming from the center dash? Happen when you just put the key in the ignition position, but don't actually start the car? Put key in ignition position and turn on/off ventilation, and/or A/C? From the description, the actuator, as you state in the original post, is the most likely suspect.

And no, I don't think there's a TSB on it, it happens, but it's not as common like other issues.

Last edited by wayne613; 08-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 PM
frodin1

It is the Blend door, If I shut the car off with the fan running, that's when it does it. Shut the fan off prior to shutting the motor down, no issues. I am still under warranty till next year. So its all good. I'm going to go through it with a fine tooth comb to make sure there's nothing else! Anything specific I should look for that common in the Mustangs? If they cut down on the plastic , maybe they wouldn't have so many issues.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by frodin1
Anything specific I should look for that common in the Mustangs? If they cut down on the plastic , maybe they wouldn't have so many issues.
Fairly common issues, alternator crapping out, water getting in near SJB during hard rain, both of those have TSB's, you can check the passenger side under the carpet to be sure on the last one. The other you'd know about quick if it were [currently] an issue. Their "fix" for the later models including the 09' for the leak was to put a plastic piece over the SJB to keep it from getting hit by the water should it occur.

The only others I can really think of are:
a. The angle of our wind-shield makes susceptibility to small rocks an issue. I've replaced 2 now from owning 2 S197's in 4 years.

b. Rattling from various bits from even the sub-par stock audio systems, specifically window control housings, plastic rings on shaker 500 door subs, etc.. All that crap I fixed on my current mustang, but it annoyed the crap outta me, not something they will normally fix as warranty work, and in most cases not something I'd want them to try to as they'd probably scratch/scuff-up and leave other things loose to rattle later.

c. Manual transmission - synchronizers, I still get a cringe-making grind from 2nd into 3rd the first one or two shifts in near freezing temps.

You can click on the mustang TSB link at the upper right of the page if you'd like to go through the official ones from 05-09 which might pertain to you.

Last edited by wayne613; 08-12-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, thats why Ford trolls the forums, to send the owners to the dealership.
Natasha is a computer with computer generated responses...

Quick Reply: Clicking from drivers side dash